Is It Self Harm?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by emotional_girl, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emotional_girl

emotional_girl Well-Known Member

Okay, I've got a weird one. I don't cut myself or any of the things that I commonly hear referred to as self harm, but I do bite myself. Sometimes I get so stressed that I feel like I have to do something to cause physical pain to myself to ease the emotional pain somewhat and when that happens, I bite myself, usually on the forearm. Is that considered self harm?
  2. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain it would be considered self harm, yes. I hope you can find some kind of distraction from it. :hug:
  3. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I would definitely consider this self-harm. Due to my skin conditions, I have frequent dermatology appointments, which are preventing me from cutting, as I really don't want my doctors to see the cuts and scars, so when things get too bad and I really need to self-harm, I have sometimes resorted to biting my upper arm. I don't break the skin, but it bruises pretty bad. You're not alone.

4. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

It's harm that you're causing to yourself, therefore self harm.

The official definition of self harm is harm that causes a mark for more than an hour, but I don't really agree with that.
  5. emotional_girl

Thank you all for your replies and your care and concern for me.

Kathy, when I bite myself, I bite so hard that it causes a mark for several days, so the "more than one hour" criteria does apply to me. However I agree with you, if it hurts you, it's self-harm, no matter how much of a mark you leave. The way I see it, if you're hurting so bad that you feel like you have to hurt yourself phyically to ease some of the emotional pain, that would leave a scar emotionally forever. Also, my husband gets mad at me when I do it because he doesn't like to see me be hurt, even if it's me that does it, and his anger hurts me more than anything else.
  6. Craig

Craig Banned Member

I think in your case it would be from what you have said. It is one of those things people do unintentionaly in extreem situations. Like when we say, do or hear something we dont approve of we touch our nose, When were molmentarily overwhelmed we cover our mouth. In poker they call them tells. Im not sure what their really called. Its just things that all people have in common reguardless of culture.

I dont know. Figured that was worth mentioning..
  7. emotional_girl

Exactly...because it's not like I say "I want to hurt myself"'s just more of a reaction to emotional pain.
  8. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

It's definitely self harm, I have known people who hit themselves for the same reasons as you bite yourself.
  9. emotional_girl

I have hit myself before, and banged my head against a wall...but biting for some reason is the most prominent for me.
  10. Craig

Craig Banned Member

To clarify I do think that what you are doing is self harm. I was just ranting about how people do it naturaly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.