Is it selfish to want to die.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by jamie2, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie2

jamie2 Active Member

I have wanted to die for quite a while now. My reason stem from my inability to cope with society and reality. Ever since I was a child I would live my life daydreaming. I am now 24 and constantly daydreaming. Back during my Highschool years I got really lucky one day and actually managed to get out of high school. Anyways, I have lived my life away from people for up until 2007 when I decided to get a job. I got this job with the intention of getting a friend or a girlfriend since I was getting really lonely by myself at home. But then I got really infatuated with a girl that worked then and could not muster enough energy to quit the job even after she kinda ditched me and started dating this other guy their. I could not get over her and have yet to get over her. But the worst part of everything is that by staying at my job, I lost all my money, I have been kicked out of my university due to bad grades, I broke a finger, and just seriously do not know what I am going to do. My fantasy world has collapsed and I cannot and will not cope with this change. I hate what is happening to my body. I really do not know where to turn and cannot seem to find happiness anywhere. I hope someone out there will end my torment. I seriously do not like the real world in the least bit and wish never to be part of it. Hopefully I will pull through this but am not quite optimistic.

2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Suicide is very versatile; you can do it for many things at many times. It isn't inherently selfish. If you kill yourself while you have a child and wife to tend to, I think there is a selfish element to it in the abandonment; but I don't think someone with no connections doing the deed could be called selfish.

I'm not endorsing it, though. You should see a professional. They can often diagnose and medicate these problems. With some work and good help, you may be able to change things. I figure it's at least worth trying before quitting the game of life, don't you?

3. Tess

Tess Member

I'm so sorry jamie2 for all you're feeling. I'm in the same boat, twentyfour, and a constant daydreamer, to the point where I don't actually do anything anymore, I have just given myself over to this over the top imaginary world of my own creation because I can't cope with the tedium, misery and monotony of everyday life. I'm also completely dependant on a boyfriend/ex boyfriend whatever he is for my happiness. I personally do not think it is selfish to want to die, in fact my outlook is so bleak at the moment that I think there is something wrong with people who do not want to die! Surely anyone though, sucidal or not who has felt an awful and exhausting level of despair could see how it can push the most well meaning person to suicide. Really it's understandable that loved ones view it as selfish, but from a societal point of view, nobody has the right to point the finger at someone who kills themself and call them outright selfish, but then society by it's very nature is judgemental.
    I hope something good happens for you soon.

4. jamie2

jamie2 Active Member

Thank You Lovecraft and Tess, I hope things turn around for you to Tess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.