Is it time to stop measuring a man's worth by his professional/social standing?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Mar 1, 2010.

?

Is it time to stop measuring a man's worth by his professional/social standing?

1. Yes. Society has not caught up with economic and social realities.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Maybe. While there is a double standard, I still judge men by their lot in life.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No. A man is a man and should find a way to be the primary breadwinner.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. It's better for men to stay inside, so they won't be chasing after women.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

While gender expectations for women have changed, we still hold men to the same gender standards of the 1920's. Do women still feel ashamed if they make more money than their husband? Do think it's acceptable for a man to have lesser income than his wife?

2. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

* It's better for men to stay inside, so they won't be chasing after women.
    Yes please... Heavenly thought...

I would be proud of all coints which me and my ponytail bring home. Nobody count who bring and what.

But damn what a fight is become who wash dishes... I count every heck plate and that have to match!!! I do NOT wash more than my ponytail...

3. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

i dont have a husband let alone a boyfriend, but i do earn more than my daughters dad.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it being a problem for me if she earns more than me. I'd personally like to make enough to support the both of us comfortably if she weren't working, though. Since I'm in mechanical engineering I'm not too worried.

5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

LOL Sammakko, the comments about you and your ponytail made me smile!

I don't think it should matter who makes more money. Nobody's worth should be measured by social or professional standing.

6. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

It was totally pleasure of my mind =D

..Shame that ponytails do not feel the same...

7. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

A man or woman should be judged first on character. If a person is caring, honest, loyal and tolerant but has humble or even nonexistent employment then they have infinitely more worth than a "good provider" who is selfish, hurtful and not trustworthy.

Money and status can disappear very quickly as can magazine cover looks. To try to coherently answer the question :blink:- I believe we're all vain to a degree and it is propagandized in most cultures that men are to be the main if not sole breadwinners in a relationship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.