Is it truly smart?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Daphna, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Have you seen that show that talks about individuals buying bunkers for doomsday? Do you think they are doing a wise thing or are they wasting their time?

Do you believe in the doomsday scenario? If so what are you doing to prep for it??

If you don't believe in it; lemme ask you why?

2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Me - i'd say they are wasting their time. We're all gonna die at some point anyway. Regardless of reproductions, once the sun dies - so does the chance of life within the planetary system that we are in.

I don't really want to waste time worrying about if it's gonna happen. It's like snow, if it happens, it happens. I won't plan for it happening, and I won't believe it til I see it.

3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Idk, I've seen one documentary where they "examined" 3-4 communities who were preparing for a societary crash of sorts.
    I do believe that the basic skills for survival is essential, I think there's a fuzzy blurred line where it's becoming socially acceptable to not know how to look after yourself. Guess that goes down to personal preference, but as far as preparing for it?

I go as far as earthquake gear. I'd rather be a part of maintaining and evolving our world as a whole, and being able to methodically work through any environmental or social issues so the world we have pioneers through into where it goes. I find alot of the people who believe in these scenarios believe so because they think the world is built on a poor infrastructure, human beings are weak(socially, mentally ect) or because some more powerful being is going to come in judgment. Fair play on them, but I'd rather keep the spirit of our community alive, and work to fix the mistakes and failings that will always be there. Be it a world community, a country, a city, town, or small gathering of people, you can't escape human nature. You really can only slow it's pace down if you fail to challenge it's variances.

Usually these doomsday scenarios revolve around having more direct control of your life imo, and the technology/traits that sustain the individuals that create that community. In essence it's freeing from the imposing will of a mass of people, their choices and failings. So I can understand the attraction, but I never felt compelled to abandon my entire world and species for the sake of my personal sustainment.

It's sorta interesting though, when these sorts of idea crop up some say they are preserving humanity. I cringe at that because all our understandings, be it from conceptual awareness to factual structure has been built over time. Alot of our understandings took someone their entire life just to grasp a simple concept that we use in everyday life. We build with and off of eachother, we share it, we make it better. But to get where we are now, it's taken us thousands of years, and unimaginable amount of horrific situations. It's taken people from all walks of life to share what they've known by paintings, word of mouth, and so on just to create the infrastructure of language and so on. So, sure if there is a possible doomsday scenario out there, it's smart to be prepared. But in my opinion it's better to be prepared as a world together so we can survive today(and everything others have poured into what we have) so we can see what we can do tomorrow. Though I spose it doesn't hurt to have a personal contingency incase everything goes tips up :p

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is like most things - a matter of degrees. I do not compare it with things like the sun burning out which can be scientifically calculated at billions of years away (i read about a few month ago - decided it exceeded life time of every object on earth and made no sense to discuss)- it is far more of the nuclear holocaust preparations that I barely recall and most on here are far too young to have any memory of at all when states and countries built bunkers for such eventualities and it was not considered "weird".

I am not a "prepper" however I do tend to try to be prepared for things and give considerations to self sufficiency for the family in the event of a a doomsday scenario with complete breakdown of standard government services and commerce. I do not believe that is impossible, just improbable. Then again, hurricanes in NY are improbable but Sandy came last year so who is to say?

5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Humans are going to outlive the Earth and our Sun because we're going to eventually be forced to find energy sources on other planets and other suns, so will be forced to become interstellar; we will no longer be limited to Earth nor this sun. So that's my belief on prospects of humanity in the future.

As for the bunker, every leader and the whole line of succession for every superpower in the world has a bunker. Does that make them crazy, or are they reasonable to have a contingency plan if and when disaster strikes and they have others to look after, just as preparers have to look after their families?

I like having water filters, maps, multitools and bugout bags if I ever get in a dangerous situation where home is no longer safe. Safety experts recommend that all families have contingency plans for natural disasters where casualties can be prevented, such as hurricanes and tornadoes, and unnatural events such as power grid outages, widespread riots, epidemics and warfare. You can't outlive everything because you can't control everything, but the things you can control, it's reasonable to take steps to protect yourself and your family where you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I believe that we as a species will eradicate ourselves via our own stupidity long before the sun is even close to burning out.

That being said, I still think the bunkers is a silly idea. Even if you could stockpile enough supplies to survive in a post apocalyptic wasteland, would you even want to? And you know that you are going to be under constant attack by other survivors who didn't prepare. Human beings without the structure and organization of society, law and order, are at their hearts, selfish savage beasts who won't hesitate to kill you for that can of beans if they're hungry enough.

Don't believe me? Just look what happens in any city after a major natural disaster. Or hell, even a major sports game. We like to pretend that we're "evolved". We're not. Look at the idiots who run things. Look at Congress. Look at the executive board of any major corporation. A bunch of back biting monkeys flinging their own feces at one another. Even animals have more sense than us.

7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

No one's going to survive a nuclear fallout so it's a terrible miscalculation preparing for a disaster like that. There won't be anything around to survive upon. It's believed that even water will be toxic, the rain will be toxic, and crops won't grow. A cloud will remain for a hundred years that will block sunlight and photosynthesis will be stopped. How much canned goods and grains and stored water will last 100 years? Only the elite would survive in a highly sophisticated bunker.

But all of this is only for the nuclear scenario which is highly unlikely. In every war game simulation, no one wins nuclear warfare. That's an incredibly effective deterrent so far against actually using large scale nuclear weapons. The chances an object from outer space will endanger our lives, or a natural disaster, are far greater. We can survive many of those threats, but not all. I don't think it's silly to prepare for what we have a good chance at surviving.

8. names_stink

names_stink Member

They're wasting their time. I mean, in the event of an actual doomsday, I doubt they'll last much longer than the rest of us. Besides, everything has to come to an end. Including the world as we know it.

9. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I am preparing in a sense. I am not blowing tons of money on bunkers or canned food, but I have looked into foraging and self sufficiency. Not to mention the best thing I believe one can do for the end of the world: know my Creator and obey Him trusting in His promises. I agree with the idea that we should help one another as a group to better the world; in fact that's what the Bible teaches. I believe some will out live this world also a teaching in the Bible.

Wouldn't you know Yahweh even predicted people trying to hide from His judgement by living under ground, and so on. I believe He even says that they build places in the sea to escape. The interesting part is what one person mentioned. Even the water will be poisoned. I was talking to my step dad and he believes that if they did build a city in the sea they would be saved from nuclear war. I dunno personally, but I agree with others when they say that no one can hide from any coming disaster. We can prepare for it but most do so through violence, and selfishness. I don't judge them because at one point in my life I would have done the same, but I just can't help but notice how the world sticks to the same tactics and expects different results at the same time.
    Every man for himself? That's the complete opposite of how I am taught we should be.

10. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

A nuclear scenario was once very unlikely due to the idea of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). No nation was crazy enough to start a nuclear war which would inevitably result in its own destruction as well.

That was then. We now live in an era of terrorists who utilize suicide bombers. All it takes is for one of these hell bent fundamentalist psychos to get their hands on a tactical nuke, and boom - say goodbye to a major metropolitan area. If you think it's difficult to acquire a nuclear weapon, think again. Soon North Korea and Iran will have them. Pakistan already has them. Russia has already "lost" several. I'm sure any of these nations would be happy to part with a nuclear warhead in exchange for a large sum of cash. As for being able to smuggle it into another nation... in spite of the U.S.'s extensive border patrol and NSA spying program, outsiders are still able to smuggle everything from cocaine, illegal immigrants and underwear bombs into the United States every single day. The biggest mistake anyone could make is the assumption of safety. Some guy just went on a shooting rampage in Los Angeles International airport this morning. Airports are notorious for their militant security measures. Do you still feel safe? Are you sure?

Yes, in the event of a major disaster, if there are any survivors, it WILL be "every man for himself". The people who spent all that time and money preparing will likely be the first ones to die at the hands of others who are ruthless enough to backstab their fellow man for their own benefit. And trust me, there is no shortage of those types. I see them every day, rapidly ascending the corporate ladder with their complete disdain for ethics or empathy. Sometimes the biggest mistake you can make is to open your heart to another person. It may seem like the right thing to do, but more oftentimes than not, it will come back to bite you in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.