is it weird to be scared to sleep?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by undercoverlover, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

i often am afraid to try to sleep because i know i will lay there for hours not being able to. when i cant, i often start to think about self harm as a way to calm down but i havent yet. ive tried to find alternatives instead or called hotlines and ive calmed down. i am just afraid to fall asleep because i cant and these thoughts come back. is this weird or does it happen to anyone else?
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I feel the same way at times, because then my mind will wander and I'll think about bad things. That's good that you have found healthier alternatives other than self harm to cope. That's what I'm trying to do right now.
  3. Percarus

Percarus Account Closed

If it is insomnia you are relating to I can relate... The part of the day I hate most is the going to sleep part as I know it will take me many hours to fall asleep. I have been a chronic insomniac for 16 years and the problem just got progressively worse. I tried naturalpathy, acupuncture, Dianetics, prayers, hypnosis, high tech gadgets, ALL sleeping pills (grew immune to them) and what I decided to do was leave any work commitments for a year and just let my 'natural' sleep cycle take place instead of forcing myself to sleep. My sleep cycle immediately changed to about every 36 hours, I could get more recreational things done, partake in more hobbies, and eventually (many months later) it naturally reverted to near normal again and soon I hope on getting back to the workforce. And I ceased to be scared about sleep to the extent I would before - there is hope at the end of the tunnel. Of course, by doing this I completely undisciplined myself in the routine of actually getting up early in the morning, but I am working on it. I gave this experiment a shot because I had nothing to lose - I even wrote a book that will soon get published because of all the extra hours I would stay awake during this period.

I just wish cannabis brownies were legal for sleep related reasons... There is one thing that would always put me to sleep and I could use if it were legal (not smoked). I hope this spiel helps.
  4. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

I have insomnia partly because i am afraid to sleep. I am also very scared of trying to sleep, and even of just being alone, in the dark and silent. I often find as soon as all the distractions are gone, and its dark and i am laying down trying to sleep, thats when i will have the most painful and aggressive thoughts of suicide depression. Like when im awake, on the internet or watching tv or reading, im distracting my mind from reality. but when everything is quite, i sometimes cant stop my thoughts and they are always painful.

I also get stressed when its time to sleep because of how its another day gone by that i have not done anything or made progress, and that makes me very anxious.
  5. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

I also have found the only thing that helps me sleep, as opposed to making me pass out, is cannabis. I too would prefer if it was legal as i could buy them as a food or lollypop or cough drop, rather than having to smoke.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.