Is it Weird...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Shiroi_Hana, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

Is it weird if a person, by nature, is a loner, and yet still feels lonely from time to time? First of all, let me just get out there that I don't believe that people necessarily "need" other people to survive. Personally, I am not an inherently "social" human being. I have always preferred being alone to being around others, since I was little. It's not because I was "that kid" who got picked on in preschool or anything like that; it's not entirely because I dislike people. I've just always liked spending my time on my own than with people around. However, in the last few weeks, I've been going in and out of a particularly intense depression, coupled with my suicidal personality, and every few moments or so, I do sometimes wish that I wasn't alone. I'm at home all the time, and as a result, I spend a great majority of my time by myself, but it's only in the last month and a half or so begun to get to me. So my question is, is it weird for people who prefer being alone to feel lonely?
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

It seems to me that most everybody needs somebody sometime. And if you're more introverted then you'll just need somebody less than more extroverted people. But if at any moment you need someone and they're not there... yeah, it'd get lonely.
  3. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

i'm kind of a loner. . . and i get intensely lonely.

that is what an interesting question.

i am content to be alone and find pleasure in solitude. but. i do know i need someone in my life - even if it is ''only''' a soul connection. . . .
  4. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

No its not wierd
    By nature people are social beeings
    loners are mentaly sick in a way and thats why they prefare to be alone
  5. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

i totally disagree. who are you or i to judge mental sickness based on sociability..
    there are all types of person in the world including loners.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Shiroi,
    I beleive some people don't need that social interaction. I think the way you were raised also has something to do with it. My dad was military and we moved every two years so I never made those bonds with others. I would stay in my room and play with my toys. As I got older I started getting intersted in girls but could never have a relationship because I didn't know how to communicate.
    Now adays I am a total isolationist. I stay in my room 24/7. I don't need other people, who are just going to use me or talk about me, and make fun of me. By joining this forum I get all the interaction I need from the friends I have made here.
    It basically is what do you need? I don't know how old you are, but if you are still young then yes it would be worth the try to find friends who aren't going to use you. You should at least try, you never know it might bring you out of your comfort zone. I hope this helps!!!You aren't alone. We will always be here for you!!~Joseph~
  7. Summer.Rain

I dont have to be anyone to say the thing i said..
    All i need is a basic psychology knowlage!
    Person who is a loner its a person who have some sort of disorder
    this disorder may be parament or temporary (due to death of a relative for example)
    Or parament due to social phobia
  8. soliloquise

nope i still disagree and i have a degree in psychology. social phobia etc is a completely diff animal to solitary folk or people who enjoy their own company for long periods. what about those who do this for spiritual reasons? are they all unbalanced? to be comfortable with yourself alone and to not need anyone is a strength.. most people like that stull end up with partners etc, they are just self sufficient and not needy of others
  9. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i HAVE to agree with sam,
    loners are not mentally sick. they are happy in their own company theres nothing at all wrong with that.
  10. Summer.Rain

Im not saying something is wrong with that
    im just saying its not geniun
    like emus... they are good people but far from geniun people
  11. soliloquise

what is an emu????

and why are loners not genuine?
    course they are !

12. soliloquise

i am very much solitary and i am far from being ungenuine ... you are v judgemental sometimes
  13. Summer.Rain

I am v judgemntal by nature, but im trying not to harm anyone
    better for me to just shut up
  14. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I don't think it's weird.
    I don't know if this is similar to your experience, but I often times feel when I'm with people that I'd rather be alone, and when I'm alone that I'd rather be with people. Never really satisfied.
  15. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

For the most part, yeah I guess you could say it is like that for me. I do get out from time to time, but when I do all I can think about is how eager I am to go home again where I can be alone; I'm really not sure what's wrong with me at the moment... my brain's all messed up...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.