Is It Wrong To Wish I Had Cancer?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by OnBorrowedTime, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm writing this in a very bad mood.

I'm sick to death of hearing moving stories on TV about people who have lived great lives and done wonderful things for other people (people like Foster Carers, War Heros, Charity Workers, Emergency Service workers etc). Then I hear that they have a terminal illness and only have a few months to live. While all their friends and family are talkin about how much they're gonna be missed all I can think is.....LUCKY BASTARD. I know it sounds a little sick, but i always feel jealous of these people.

It's wrong that there are people of great value to this planet whos lives are cut short, and then there's people like me who are of no use to anybody and are completely healthy and want nothing more than to be dead.

I genuinely wish I could take the illnesses off these people and then we would both get what we want......and deserve.

Am I the only one who feels this way?:sad:

2. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

I think most of us have had the cancer thought.
    Also the 'can I borrow a gun' one.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

You wouldnt want to wish cancer on your worst enemy least of all yourself. Hun, I know you're hurting but please be careful what you wish for. Having cancer is a living Hell!!! If you want to pm me maybe I can help you if even just to let you get it all out or an understanding shoulder to lean on.

4. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

swear if i hear one more person saying they wish they had cancer im going to scream :dry:

do you know what is does? to you? to everyone around you?

dont wish it on yourself. or your family

:rant: :tantrum:

5. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

I think i can understand what you are saying, you wish you had a light at the end of the tunnel, a death sentance if you will.
    But wishing you had a terminal disease is not the answer. The physical suffering will exceed or at least match your mental, and you will forever lose your option to fight.
    Id be happy to talk things through if thats what you want? xx

6. RosiePosie

RosiePosie Member

That's an unbelievably, perfectly copied, every day thought out of my head.

7. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

You should pay a visit to the hospital and check out the patients there in the final stages of cancer. There's nothing lucky about it.

8. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel. I also understand how everytone else feels. I/you want a way out that is accepted and at the same time u want to suffer!

9. shazzer

shazzer Well-Known Member

If you had to listen to a doctor saying you have cancer as I have with my mum not once but twice. And had to watch your loved one go through major ops and horrible treatment I'm sure you would think twice. I have and am going through hell because of my mums illness and I know that cancer will take her from me and I dread that happening but there's nothing I can do to change that and I wish there was.
    Cancer is a horrible illness and I wouldn't wish it on anybody and to wish it on yourself well all I will say that I find that disrespectful to all people who have the illness and to the ones that have lost loved ones because of it. It is not a illness to be made light of it is heartbreaking. You may not like what I say but I have to live with the fact my mum has it and I've lost other relatives to it as well

10. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Well said

11. danni

danni Chat Buddy

I loss so many family to cancer its something hard on everone,friends,family,love ones.
    You shouldn;t wish something like cancer on you....

12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My dad has cancer, and its awful every day to see him ill, and not knowing when he is going to get worse etc.. I never wished i had cancer although i cant deny i sometimes wish i could take it from my dad , i deserve to die, he doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  13. Fishman

Fishman Guest

even if you where sick with that its a slow and horrible death. its silly to think that. :mad:

14. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

While I appreciate that it's a close thing for some of you, folks, at the end of the day, when we're feeling low, or suicidal even, who can say that we don't have these random thoughts?

As I say, while I appreciate that it's a hard issue for some of you, as we all know, when we get low, thoughts don't follow what could be considered 'normal' thought patterns.. Try and give the OP a bit of slack please, rather than attacking them :grouphug:

15. shazzer

shazzer Well-Known Member

So how is it that this person can come on and upset people and noone is surposed to respond. While I appreciate that when we are low we may think things that we wouldn't normally but at the end of the day cancer is a sensitive issue for many people and when someone makes light of it like this you can't expect people to keep quiet. One of the reasons I come on here apart from depression and suicidal thoughts which I have constantly is to get away from thinking about this illness so when I see a post saying that someone wished they had it it makes my blood boil and I'm not gong to apologise for that. I live with the illness everyday and know that I will lose my mum because of it and thats not a nice thought believe me. And if you want to ban me for what I say then go ahead all I will say is that cancer is a horrible illness for the person with it and for there family and friends as people have said on here. And if I'm not allowed an opinion then thats wrong

16. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I don't believe the OP is making light of it at all. I believe that what the OP's doing, as he's shown from his post in the other thread, is that he doesn't care about what happens to himself, whereas everyone else who's posted in this thread obviously has family etc, who it's affected, it seems like he has no-one. I can understand his position - if you're feeling low etc, and you have no-one to care for, then would you necessarily care about what happens to yourself? Probably not (well I wouldn't, anyway).
    As I say, I don't believe the OP is trying to make light of it in anyway, he's not saying that it doesn't affect others severely, merely saying that it's not affecting him.

And don't worry - I've no reason to ban you at all. Opinions are allowed here, and you speak the truth about cancer. Equally, while you see it from your viewpoint, the OP has shared his point of view.. Just because people don't agree, doesn't give people the right to attack him for his views, no matter how close to the heart the issue may be.

17. Daze&Confused

Daze&Confused Antiquitie's Friend

I lost my stepfather to cancer, and i have sometimes wished i could've taken it from him.
    He was such a lovely man and i miss him.

18. neutral

neutral Well-Known Member

I've seen a family member in the final stages of cancer.

Its not the best thing to wish for... However I can understand what you mean, terminal cancer would take away all choices.

I'm not making light of cancer as I know it slowly robs you of life, however I can relate to what you say.

19. riddleout

riddleout Member

Yeah, when the dentist did a biopsy for a spot on my chinbone I was at point in my life where I hoped it would be cancer...I'm not proud to say it but I have had the tendency to wish cancer on myself even though I shouldn't bleh

20. klodo

klodo Well-Known Member

Maybe not cancer as I'am crap at handling pain but I certainly think it would be good to swap what's left with my meaningless life with someone who would be loved and missed and would enjoy their life more.I often get head and chest pain now and hope its the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.