Is it wrong...?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by PainIsLife, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PainIsLife

PainIsLife Member

Is self harm wrong? I've been cutting for over half a year now, nothing serious, just deep enough to draw blood, but it's left me with scars. But they're all physical. I feel no remorse or regret when I cut, instead I see it as a fairly safe way of letting out my feelings because, in my case, there's no serious harm done.

There's a massive stigma attached to people who injure themselves, I know all too well. My best friend is always taking the mick about it and telling me how pathetic I am which isn't a very nice thing to hear from someone that's supposed to support me. But I digress...

She asked me if I got any pleasure out of it and I didn't know how to answer. I don't think it's the stinging pain I'm after, or is it? The way I see it I cut because for a short time I'm distracted from my thoughts and instead concentrating on the little dribble of blood that comes out my wrist...so what?

I'm not saying it's something to be proud of, but equally I'm not ashamed of it. What does everyone else think?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

No one should be judging you hun YOu do what you need to do to survive. Just that in time i hope you find a better way to cope to deal with living without having to harm you
    YOu need to show yourself compassion care and understanding ok It is not up to us to say if it is wrong or not but i do hope you know there are ways to help you without harming hugs

3. PainIsLife

PainIsLife Member

Thanks. One of my mates started cutting recently after doing something she regretted with her boyfriend, and without revealing that I did it too, I warned her not to get into it so that she depended on it like I now do.

I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to feel the need to SH, but I can't help but feel she's only doing it out of attention because she's been telling EVERYONE about it. And the fact that her boyfriend does it (and she's extremely clingy to him) makes me think she's doing it to be like him. She goes around showing her cuts off in class and in my opinion, she's giving cutters in my school a bad name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.