Is joining the Military a good or bad thing?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Xenos, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

It'll seem like this question is out of place... but I want to know if it's worth the psychological and physical scars to fight in the military. I have heard so far that many soldiers returning from Afghanistan and Iraq to the US, at least in my area, would seek refuge clubs because the trauma of war was too much. Or perhaps they simply commit suicide. I definitely know it's a life-changing experience, but... is it worth it? I feel like I want to join, but then again, I don't. :unsure:
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Do whatever you feel called to do.
    I wouldn't ever go myself, even if they drafted me, and I'm sad to see my friends go, but if it's what you want, then go for it :heart:
  3. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

Well a lot of people do join because of the incentives (college tuition paid, money saved while serving, etc) but i think you need to research it from all angles.

Go to the government websites and research how to join and what options you have within the military, but i would also encourage getting in touch with veterans who have served (preferably within Iraq/afghanistan or this decade) and see how it has effected them, what benefits they were entitled to and if that matched what they were told upon signing up and if they feel they have a better chance of developing a career based on their military service. I really doubt this is the experience most jobs are looking for in an entry level job opportunity but i could be wrong.

I've also heard things about medical care being pretty bare minimum for injured veterans coming home and who knows what kind of medication they would want you to take while serving if you start suffering from mental illness or something. I think the figure now both in Iraq and Afghanistan is about 15% of soldiers are on some form of anti anxiety, anti depression, or sleeping medication and many have trouble refilling the prescription while out in the battlefield which can really cause havoc on your body.

But i also think you need to evaluate yourself mentally. Having a drill sergant mentally burn you to ashes only to build you back on a foundation of killing another person isnt exactly easy for the healthiest person mentally. (these people are in your face ALL the time)

Another question i believe legitimate....can you justify pulling the trigger? I dont know how relevant this question is as i think in most cases soldeirs demonize and dehuminize the enemy simply because thats the only way to not let killing someone eat at you.

This decision should be very tough and should be taken with all seriousness. I've known a few people who joined the marines and every single one of them wrote back via internet that they regretted signing up (and this was just in bootcamp).

I think its pretty obvious where i stand on joining the military at this point in our history so my reply may seem biased but i hope i gave some insight to help you make an educated decision. This is your choice to make so dont let anyone else make it for you...just know what you're doing and please be safe :)
  4. james555

james555 Member

Don't, unless you're thinking of the UN military or some military that doesn't kill anyone.

Think about how much better off the world would be without any soldiers...

Don't encourage them, don't join.
  5. Breathe

Breathe Well-Known Member

Do what you feel like doing. If your scared of the aftermath dont because you are not anyone else. Everyone deals with events in their own way and many soldiers are fine after finishing a "tour" and even go back to complete another :p

I myself am training to be in the military as a RAF Medical Officer.

Make sure you fully understand what you are doing before you join because the training is tough, and they make you sign up for a number of years. Though the rewards are good.

If it is something you want to do, go for it.
  6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

This is obviously a very complex issue. In the U.S. we do not have a draft so the decision is totally up to the individual. Many do, in fact, sign up for the benefits, such as they are.

Aside from the higher than average rate of suicide, you must also take into consideration the morality of taking the life of another who may be innocent.

I had 3 friends debate and discuss these issues for many years after they came home from Vietnam. One received a dishonorable discharge for refusing to bomb innocent villagers. Another became addicted to heroin and died many years ago. And the other stayed in the army and is now a General.

Please do as much research as possible. Then you will have made an informed decision and be as prepared as possible for what is to come and how to go on with your life afterward.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  7. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

I've got a degree and all such and Im hoping to go to Sandhurst for officer training next september.

Failing that I'll become a squaddie.
  8. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Its a personal choice. I, personally, feel that joining the military is not the right thing for me, as does my boyfriend (it's one of the random discussions we had a while ago) But a couple of my friends have joined or are intending to join as they feel called to serve. You have to really think it through that,what do you hope to gain from the experience? Make a list of pros and cons, reasons to go and reasons not to go :) And then do whatever your heart tells you to! Good luck :hug:
  9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

If you decide to join make sure you get all of your guarantees in writing.. Also I would reccomed the Air forece because you aren't on the front lines. Your training is better, to where you can use what you learn when you get out of the military.. And the boot camp isn't like the Marines which I am a former Marine..The one thing I can say is you will graduate with alot of pride knowing you were succesful..
  10. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm planning to join the army when I'm 18. As with most other things in life, it has it good and bad points. Make sure you research it thoroughly so you know what you're letting yourself in for. What are you hoping to get out of it? That's an important factor. I agree with Breathe, everyone handles things differently, but then if you're on a suicide forum your mentality is probably kinda fragile? A bit of a generalization. It's easy to think you can handle army life sat behind a screen at home, the reality might be tougher than you expect. I don't know... I'm kinda confused where I stand after posting this... :laugh: Just be sure it's what you want. Personally I think it has the potential to be very rewarding.
  11. colt45

colt45 Well-Known Member

You have to make that decision yourself. If you heat the "calling", Then go for it.

That is about all I can tell you.

I would not go myself.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.