Is Life actually Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Me too, my life doesn't seem to be an illusion to me either. 'My' life
Would you say that the world which appears to you in dreams is an illusion while you are dreaming . Is the scenery, and all the apparently autonomous entities, independent of you as thd dreamer?

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Would you say that the world which appears to you in dreams is an illusion while you are dreaming . Is the scenery, and all the apparently autonomous entities, independent of you as thd dreamer?
My dreams are delivered from others to me. They are totally of elsewhere and elseone.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
(Can non-existent, imaginary, entity know, or think, anything at all or ask itself whether it exists or doesn't exist?)
Well...according to what you're postulating, if I'm understanding what you're saying, that's exactly what's happening, isn't it? You're saying that 'my'consciousness is an illusion. Ok, then, the answer is obviously yes. Clearly, a non-existent imaginary entity can know, think and ask itself whether it exists, because that's what I'm doing right now! 'Me'. This imaginary entity right here (pointing to himself with his thumbs even though nobody can see it)

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Well...according to what you're postulating, if I'm understanding what you're saying, that's exactly what's happening, isn't it? You're saying that 'my'consciousness is an illusion. Ok, then, the answer is obviously yes. Clearly, a non-existent imaginary entity can know, think and ask itself whether it exists, because that's what I'm doing right now! 'Me'. This imaginary entity right here (pointing to himself with his thumbs even though nobody can see it)
I am not so sure you are really doing that.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
All of the universe actually occupies zero space. It is only an illusion that space and distance are involved.
No one has ever been able to prove the independent existence of the world which appears to us in the waking state. The arguments of the skeptic philosopher David Hume have been acknowledged as irrefutable by such great thinkers from Kant to Einstein.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
No one has ever been able to prove the independent existence of the world which appears to us in the waking state. The arguments of the skeptic philosopher David Hume have been acknowledged as irrefutable by such great thinkers from Kant to Einstein.
At a very young age maybe 3 4 or 5 I had a dream. It scared me. I have thought of it often since then. It was a dream of a line and a dot on a sandy background. There was a thumping sound. I believe this dream was my understanding of the lack of size and distance in space.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
That's the illusion - you are the awareness in which the dream imagery arises and you don't cease to exist when you wake up. Awareness is always present, only the scenery changes.
But Lara, if as you say, my identity is a dream, then, when the dream ends, naturally, so will I, because 'I' am the dream. I just don't see how any other conclusion could be drawn.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
But Lara, if as you say, my identity is a dream, then, when the dream ends, naturally, so will I, because 'I' am the dream. I just don't see how any other conclusion could be drawn.
I didn't say you are a dream, only that the form you identify yourself as in the dream, what you imagine yourself to be, is not what you really are i.e. the dreamer.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Do you think the body which you identify as yourself in your dream - which runs, flies, levitates etc- is you, or is it just a creation of your mind which, for the time being, you identify yourself as? When you wake up your dream body disappears, but while you were in the dream you fully identified yourself as it.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'll be back tomorrow morning, freshly caffeinated, and take another whack at it;)
One last point - in your dreams you identify your imaginary dream body as you. When awake you know it was you who was doing all the stuff you did in the dream - eating dream pizza, drinking dream coffee - not someone else. Your sense of I remains the same in the dream as it does when you're awake.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Is Life actually Life? That is, is it different from anything/everything else?

I remember my mother musing at how something out of the univese's norm happened that triggered and brought about life. Look at the universe. Does it really do anything? There's a bunch of stuff that spins around. Not much else; right? Well there are sub things too and they basically do the same, no? Ok, there seems to be some kind of push and pull or am I just giving a bit too much of an attribute to a basic nothing. So then, if you examine life, is it any significantly different. Looking at it like this - the fact that it's such a tiny part of a tiny part of something that is so huge but probably also a tiny part, if life is significant at all, is it any different from all else? Which makes me wonder, if it is life at all - that it being life - what we call life - is it anything? Could you call our solar system life just as easily? Are there differences in the processes they go through? Is there justification for the awe, the amazement, the wars or the sheer joy at seeing a flower? Need I wonder?
now that my brain is in better working order, i’ve decided to go through the entire thread and respond but in response to myself right now: the joy of seeing a flower? no need to wonder because i feel satisfied by what i believe. that the universe is a “fabric” of some sort created by itself. that you can check every corner, bend, nook, cranny, and everywhere in fact and you will see the spirits! these are not little guys who sit on your shoulder or come to you in dreams or are personifications in assorted religions but are the “desire”, the impetus to exist and flourish, astonish and have fun. i don’t know a thing about anything. i just gaze in amazement and see others theorize and see that what they find is what i believe are spirits. spirits want to be present and need life so life exists. nothing ever vanishes. your consiousness is real. when dewlling in a human body it is one way. another time it is something different. it is made up of spirits as anything is. spirits come and go, unite, divide, and are sometimes very busy and industrious. at other times they relax. i dont know, is this my fantasy? i doubt it. but that is only because i believe in it. and i find it works because i think it is in accord with everything else.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
You ask questions which I've thought about a lot in my life. Questions which have left me feeling there is not much purpose to being here. I have my own set of challenges some are environmental, some relating to physical and mental health issues but I do believe these questions are one of the main reasons I've spent years with depression and suicidal thoughts.

I recently came to realise that even if we are insignificant in the grand scheme of things, we are not necessarily without use. I think we can still try to live and enjoy what's in front of us. I'm starting to believe it does not matter if we have no larger purpose. At the end of the day we are here and unless we go ahead and take our lives which let's be honest is something we all struggle with by action of us being on a peer support website, then we may as well try and make the best out of our time here. Does it really matter if in 100 years we will be forgotten? Does it really matter whether people remember us or not when we are a small part of the universe? I'm not sure I care anymore.
for me, i am here now. what is me may dissipate to otherly places, or regroup, rearrainge, take on new form or so much i have not yet imagined. there may be hard times in other forms, tragedies yet still like i’ve said before, in a universe where a flower can exist, there is endless joy that may be unexpected or hard to come by or or or i don’t know what but it goes on and on and never gets boring. battles, chores, rewards, ho hums, but the spirits as i see are ever doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00