• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Is life something you have to do or get to do?

JDot

J to the Dizzle O to the Tizzle
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Idk if it's the same with everyone else. But it seems depression makes me see life as something I have to do. People who don't suffer from depression seem to see life as something they get to do. I want to see life as something I get to do. I see life as a life sentence. I want to see it as an adventure. But it's easier said than done. How do you see life? Do you see it as something you have to do or get to do?

MisterBGone

Both. Or, either—or. . .) is the sense that, when I am in the midst; or the throes, of an epic depression (state / period / mood... kind of hard to think of it as an episode if it lasts for the better part of a year in some cases!) it is absolutely ‘beyond the beyond’ something I HAVE To do (live). Like my favorite film 🎞 ~ikiru (to live!) although, that’s in a slightly different context. ;) but when I am not feeling that way — it is something that can definitely feel more normal, shall we say.?. Like it’s something I want to do. : ) right now, I’m somewhere in the middle! ( :

That statement sounds like it came directly out of a self help book, or someone trying to sell something. I chose to respond by saying please consider this by Kundera. It's the meaning of life in my opinion, however you want to decode it, but it's there if you can understand. Let me put it like this, ya I'd love to go willy nilly just doing whatever I wanted to do my whole life, except for one little thing I value greatly. Consequences. See it's the 'burdens' and your choice in dealing with them, that often decides one's journey in life. I look at it that yes, I 'have' to live life... It's almost like, if someone put on some magic sunglasses(or blinders) that eliminated all the bad from sight. But it's an illusion, you're only seeing what you want to see. I don't know about you, but there isn't a pair of sunglasses in the universe powerful enough to blind out the pain I see in this world, and that's exactly how it should be if you care. Simple concept, you care more in life about non-superficial things, you're gonna hurt, but be fulfilled. You go through life stepping on everyone and never think of anyone but yourself, you'll be happy, but hollow inside. This is how I understand it.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being(1984)
Milan Kundera

“The heavier the burden, the closer our lives come to the earth, the more real and truthful they become. Conversely, the absolute absence of burden causes man to be lighter than air, to soar into heights, take leave of the earth and his earthly being, and become only half real, his movements free as they are insignificant. What then shall we choose? Weight or lightness? When we want to give expression to dramatic situation in our lives, we tend to use metaphors of heaviness. We say that something has become a great burden to us. We either bear the burden or fail and go down with it, we struggle with it, win or lose.”

Sunspots

★☆ Braced for impact ☆★
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I'd never thought of it like that but you're so right.

I think I've always seen life as something I have to do, a life sentence I've got to bear. But just recently I can see a little bit of sunshine over the horizon ahead of me and it's beckoning me towards an adventure.

I hope you see the first rays of dawn very soon too.

varies on my mood, but even when I'm in a good mood I think I could still say it feels like something I have to do - maybe because my life has never really been exciting or fulfilling. I've had fun and happy moments, but the dull or miserable moments outweigh the better ones. the last time my life had more good than bad was when I was a kid, I would love to feel like I did when I was a kid again.

GFS

The answer depends how life's treating you. If you are doing what you love doing than it's something you get to do. Fun and adventurous. If you, for a reason or another, don't do what you love but instead you have to do what you don't like doing then it becomes something you have to do.

In my case, definitely something I have to do. But that's no surprise considering where we are, I guess.

neutralbuoyancy

stuck in place yet again
Idk if it's the same with everyone else. But it seems depression makes me see life as something I have to do. People who don't suffer from depression seem to see life as something they get to do. I want to see life as something I get to do. I see life as a life sentence. I want to see it as an adventure. But it's easier said than done. How do you see life? Do you see it as something you have to do or get to do?
i see it as something i have to do but there are moments i was and still are where i'm grateful to be alive living this life. like everyday i see my dog or when i see her or that i found that my family is safe in terrible or dangerous times im glad to be alive right now because i am with my light of my life my dog but ya when depression hits i dont feel as happy

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$5.00
Goal
$255.00