Is mental illness cureable or life long?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ThoseEmptyWalls, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Can people really recover from/be cured from mental problems? This has been on my mind a lot lately. Sitting waiting on news about my ssi, what doctors say, what my mom says, what I seen of other people, and everything has been laying heavy on my mind. I know some people have great success overcoming their mental issues with medications but I dont. I know some people have wonderful breakthru's with therapy but I dont. I know some people who can eat healthier and get more activity and have some big changes but it doesnt work that way for me. I improve a little with activity and better eating but it doesnt work wonders like some people seem to think it does. The pdoc I see (who works at the doctors office my mom does) says that disorders like mine are cycling - some good, some bad, some inbetween - never goes away is what I took his long answer to simply mean. So how about it -Can people be free of their mental problems for ever or do they stay forever only sometimes hiding from us?
  2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Guess it depends on what your mental health issues are. Some are temporary caused from situations or amount of stress you are experiencing. Once they are alleviated, so is the health issue. Some are treatable with meds/therapy/counselling on it's own or combinations of such. And some are lifetime "members" that may have what I call quiet cycles but are always there and flare up over and over again. For some they are able to pull out of it on their own strength and positive thinking. Some like you mentioned can rid themselves of it by an active lifestyle and proper diet. And unfortunatley some are chronic. But the best thing to do is to talk to your pdoc and family doc. Between them they should be able to find the right combination of therapy and meds that will help you to keep your mental health issues in check. At the end of the day, it is up to you hun. You keep fighting and trying to get better or stay better or you give up. But you know you will always find support and caring people here to help you through which ever road you take. Good luck.
  3. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Actually I have sort of stopped seeing the latest pdoc. He was very blunt and up front at my last visit with him. He said I have been on almost every medication thats available right now. The only options I have left (medication wise) are things that I cant afford (I have no insurance and am on temp medication coverage from a local agency but they deny lots of medications). He said the few options I have left would require blood tests (which I cant afford) or would be medications my temp coverage wouldnt cover. So I dont see the point in going back to see him if he cant do anything. I also have sorta stopped therapy, I cancled the last few sessions and have another for middle of next month but will probably cancel it too. Therapy sessions do nothing but waste a few hours out of my day and make me come home feeling worse then when I left.
  4. mandel32

mandel32 Member

mental illness can be changed..... reading inspirational stories will help but change comes from within. i am not talking like im someone successful or without mental problems, but it does change maybe ur depression is just recent and fresh it really feels that way when ur situation is just new.

Nothing is impossible. Sometimes people are just too LAZY to change, they feel that theres no way to change, "i dont want to change this has been my habit." so they just dont do anything....... i was like that few months ago i dont want to change even if i am already WRONG. anyway message me if you want
  5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

A particular method may work for some yet not work for others. It is dependent on the individual. It is this individuality which makes it tough for others to rid themselves of such things.
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It is cureable. For some people it can be as easy as taking a pill, some people need long-term therapy and med alterations. I suppose it would also depend on the amount of effort you put into it, what you know to be true, and how much you want to get better :hug:
  7. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I'm pretty sure they're there forever, but often times they can go away and hide for years if treated properly.

Kinda how it is with my bipolar now. One day I'll get my dream job and be successful and bipolar will rise from it's grave in my brain and strike me right in the ass.

Damn them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.