Is our primary choice to just reframe success or happiness?

Jsinjin

SF Supporter
I'm asking just trying to learn how to help myself not see life as a failure. Growing up as a little kid I had one single goal in life; to become an astronaut. That didn't pan out and it didn't really affect.me that much but it was quite a goal driving me to science, fitness, medicine and other things in support of a goal.

I'm asking about this because there are so many other things in life that being me down mentally and emotionally. An example (not mine) would be "I want to be president of the US and nothing else will do or I am a failure. If that person doesn't get to be president is their only choice simply to reset the goal in their mind to be ok if they are not.

I have so much trouble because I want so many things as accomplishments; writing, business, my family and kids, retirement, travel, mountains to climb, things to learn, books to read, and things to build. I find at the end of a given day I'm typically down about all the things I didn't accomplish and frustrated that the family and friends around me didn't understand my desire to finish those things.

I ran four marathons before realizing that my body, frame and football muscles make it very hard to become good at running marathons so no matter what I tried I could never accomplish what the scrawny anorexic looking runners did and every time I was completely disappointed by the whole event.

I am curious because i face this all the time; the expectations that I will do well and setting a very high bar. I never consider what I do to be an accomplishment for me personally.

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
This world offers more to learn than anyone could ever learn in a lifetime. The same with goals or accomplishments. No one can do it all in a lifetime that is why we are eternal beings. We have forever to accomplish what we desire or learn all we want to learn. Relax, take your time in doing what is present in your life. All the other things will come in time, you have forever.

Jsinjin

SF Supporter
Thank you. That's very difficult for me. I tend to frame everything I tackle from the perspective of success. And growing old. It's very tough and part of the depression besides the stuff with my spouse.

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
Thank you. That's very difficult for me. I tend to frame everything I tackle from the perspective of success. And growing old. It's very tough and part of the depression besides the stuff with my spouse.
Old age can be a blessing, I am 82 almost 83 and happier now than when I was your age. We grow wiser as we get older and the things that bothered just become distant memories. Focus on the present and do what you can. Opportunity is always within reach, always tantalizing us to move forward. So we will, each at their own pace. Love

Daphna

Ninja of light
I'm asking just trying to learn how to help myself not see life as a failure. Growing up as a little kid I had one single goal in life; to become an astronaut. That didn't pan out and it didn't really affect.me that much but it was quite a goal driving me to science, fitness, medicine and other things in support of a goal.

I'm asking about this because there are so many other things in life that being me down mentally and emotionally. An example (not mine) would be "I want to be president of the US and nothing else will do or I am a failure. If that person doesn't get to be president is their only choice simply to reset the goal in their mind to be ok if they are not.

I have so much trouble because I want so many things as accomplishments; writing, business, my family and kids, retirement, travel, mountains to climb, things to learn, books to read, and things to build. I find at the end of a given day I'm typically down about all the things I didn't accomplish and frustrated that the family and friends around me didn't understand my desire to finish those things.

I ran four marathons before realizing that my body, frame and football muscles make it very hard to become good at running marathons so no matter what I tried I could never accomplish what the scrawny anorexic looking runners did and every time I was completely disappointed by the whole event.

I am curious because i face this all the time; the expectations that I will do well and setting a very high bar. I never consider what I do to be an accomplishment for me personally.
Time is required for everything. You have a long list there. I, myself, have a list. I’ve learned the hard way that patience is required to accomplish all of them.

C4RL4

I buried in my memory this words:
"Life isn't a race or a competition, everyone walks their own path on life at their own pace"
More or less, so basically you don't compare yourself to others, but with your own progress, I myself admire lots of good artists, sometimes I felt a bit down for how great they are, but that wont stop me from doing my own thing.
You actually have objectives set, wich is great, while you keep being consistent, day by day you will accomplish something, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00