Is refusal to eat a form of SH?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by DrownedFishOnFire, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Just wondering if eating disorder is considered a form of SH due to something someone told me. If I refused to eat for days at a time, it is considered SH.....

I don't think it is anyhow. It's in my head it is not.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Yes, It is .Self harm is easily defined as anything done that ones knows doing will result in physical or mental damage , pain, or poor health. Not eating falls into all three.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

Eh, fasting has its benefits. There's people who fast and advocate about it so I'm kinda mixed up on that

4. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Depends on the degree of not eating or "fasting". Hindu's and Muslims fast every year usually for a period of a month. I wouldn't consider it self-harm. Sometimes I go a day without food but not to hurt myself. I think if you are starving yourself ot refuse to eat for long periods due to an ED, then it's self-harm as you are knowingly (and sometimes deliberately) preventing nutrients which your body needs to function properly and thus causing yourself harm.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Yes, if you do not eat for the sole purpose of starving yourself and depriving yourself of food deliberately then yes it is a form of self harm because you are inflicting damage upon yourself (physical and mental albeit a slow process). My form of self harm is not cutting myself etc but I throw myself into work and if I am self destructive enough I'll do stupid shit like stop my meds, not go to medical appts and isolate myself etc. Not physically hurting myself but deliberately inflicting damage upon myself all the same.

EDIT: when fasting for religious or medical purposes it is not constant, it is only for a short period of time during certain times of the day for example Muslims during Ramadan fast during daylight hours but can eat when the sun sets so no that is not self harm but to go for long periods without eating to deliberately deprive yourself of food and nutrients then yes, it is self harm.

6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

"fasting" for religious purposes is controlled by very specific rules- most important of which is the "sunrise to sunset" which means while fasting 30 days that they do not "not eat" for 30 days, they do not eat during certain hours, or their foods are limited to specific items during those time periods. Any small amount of google research will add clarity and the other factor is that it is controlled by a priest or spiritual leader. Other than that, it is not religious fasting, it is a hunger strike. Anybody that went 30 days without consuming food or nutrients for 30 days would be exceptionally sick after and is absolutely self harm. Not eating because genuinely not hungry is different, however if not no appetite at all and thus not eating after 24 - 48 hours one would seek a medical treatment as it is a sign of some type of medical (physical or mental) issue.

The "cleansing" type fast while proclaimed to have many benefits is also not recommended by any actual medical source. Even a few days can have serious dertimental consequences for many people.

7. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Yes, Muslims fast based on a similar set of rules. Before dawn and at sunset, in between you are not allowed to consume any beverages or food. Hindu's fast with the rule that you can consume water, natural juices, fruit, nuts, tea, coffee throughout the day, but you can only have one full meal which is usually consumed in the evening. I would have specified that for both religions, but I thought it fairly obvious that they do not fast for 30 days consecutively without breaking their fast on a regular basis as that would be extremely detrimental to their health.

8. DrownedFishOnFire

Noted, thanks guys for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.