Is self-harm limited to cutting?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by beaglelover, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaglelover

beaglelover Active Member

It seems to be the only thing people mention. But I prefer to beat my head against the wall until I nearly knock myself out or punch solid and/or jagged objects until I nearly break my hand. I have considered throwing myself down a flight of stairs...I do this mainly when I am angry with myself. Anyone else out there like me?

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've banged my head against the wall. Personally I have never cut, but in no way do I think that is the only thing that falls under the term "self harm." Nor do I think it is limited to physical things. Self harm can extend to many different things like abusing alcohol/drugs, intentionally putting yourself in dangerous or triggering situations. Intentionally sabotaging otherwise healthy relationships or work. The list goes on.
    :hug:

3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Self-harm isn't just limited to cutting. The things you mentioned are also forms of self-harm.

4. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

self harm is only most associated with burning, but among some people (educated about the subject) it includes burning, cutting, beating oneself, punching solid objects, hitting your head against a wall, breaking bones.

me personally, im a cutter. but once in a blue moon ill find myself without a blade or it wont work like it should, so i light a lighter and wait till the metal is heated and press it to my skin. if thats not enough ill slam my head against something or if theres no time to supress my anger i punch something hard.

5. Katii

Katii Well-Known Member

Like everyone sed above, self harm has a big list.
    Personally me i cut =/ but others have different ways.

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

self harm is just that anything that causes harm pick sores in your body hitting yourself burning cutting stabbing great big list I tend to beat myself up physically and verbally

7. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i cut, stab, burn, crush, beat, and insult myself. its all harm. its not all self inflicted though.

also being alive could count as self harm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  8. wendolynmarie

wendolynmarie Active Member

I cut, hit my head with my phone, throw myself against walls, punch brick, and stab things into my skin. It's all self harm.

9. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

My mother used to beat on her legs with her fists. I'm sure that's where I began learning it when I was little. :sad:

I beat on myself with my fists, including punching and slapping myself in the head and face. I cut, poke myself with pins and other sharp objects, and burn (and have terrible scars from it). I used to self-sabotage and really have to watch myself over that one closely. I quit drugs but I used to do that (it began with me trying to kill myself with them). I intentionally OD when I'm' suicidally idealistic. And I verbally abuse myself when I'm angry and frustrated.

Its an addiction. One that I keep thinking I have beat, then something happens and I'm off and running again. :pokeball:

10. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I agree there is a looooong list of self-harm ... I didn't know abusing medication was counted as self-harm till I had an assessment done :eek:hmy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.