Is Sex Bad?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Sophronia, May 6, 2013.

1. Sophronia

Sophronia Member

So, I am really curious about this. I am not always up to date on modern trends and philosophies.

Is consensual sex between adults bad?

2. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned fuck no its fantastic.

In fact I'm off to my missus right now :laugh:

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

What is preferable to me is making love...the act of two people communicating in a very intimate way

4. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

i think when both the people want to and it's safe, totally, go for it. sure, there are exceptions, like when one of them is already involved with someone else and such, but if you're just talking about sex in general, i think it's a pretty amazing thing, hehe.

5. lelantgirl

lelantgirl Well-Known Member

Sex is bad for some people, who have been abused/raped etc and they view even consensual sex as wrong cos its still the same act.
    The mind cant distinguish the difference between the acts cos same physical things happens, even if they sensibly know its different cos they are in love and its fine and natural and not abuse, but still feels bad and wrong.
    If both parties are willing and happy then there is nothing wrong, but someone who has been hurt sexually will/can still have problems even with this as they tell themselves well if sex/making love is ok, then the abuse/rape must've been too, it just gets confusing and isn't nice to go through.

6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

This actually cannot be accurately answered without including circumstances. Just because something is consensual does not make it either good or bad. The circumstances through which surround it are what dictated the measure that might be referred to as either good, or bad. In addition, cultural and moral considerations play into this measure also and for each individual, there are different parameters for that as well.

7. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Agreed. Circumstances play a huge part.

If everyone is over the legal age of consent, and both people involved want it and have no objections, then there is nothing wrong there. If someone is already involved with another person...then it gets a bit questionable, but that is a personal moral issue.

8. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I'm curious - why is this question being posed?

9. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

No not at all. It is great, for those lucky people who have someone in their lives who want to have sex with them -> not me :(

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't think there is any certain answer to this question. For a couple who are deeply in love it is a wonderful way of expressing their love for each other, on the other hand for someone who has...let's say.. post traumatic stress disorder from sexual abuse or rape, it may bring back hurtful memories and flashbacks. So yes and no.

11. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Depends on who it's with, why you're having it, and how you feel after.

12. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Only if it results in a child.

13. Sophronia

Sophronia Member

Because where I come from, men get accolades for having a lot of sex. But apparently this has changed?

14. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

I'm curious too. Why phrase the question in that particular way? Your post doesn't answer our question.

15. Sophronia

Sophronia Member

I was primarily concerned with modern views on sex. I wanted to know what people consider "good" and "bad".

16. Xscapeply

Xscapeply Well-Known Member

^That.

17. poison

poison Well-Known Member

Depends on who you ask. Kant thought sex was inherently immoral because it was a degradation of another human being by definition (I know, what a fucking loser). Aquinas thought sex that attempted to prevent procreation and sex that was done outside the boundaries of marriage was immoral. Honestly, before we can answer this question, we need a sound definition of bad — we need a solid ethical theory from whence to answer this question, and as a moral nihilist, I don't think there is one.

18. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

Only when you have to pay for it.

19. Kirovski22

Kirovski22 Active Member

Depends on how you look at it. I've had sex before, enjoyed it but I don't have a need for it I can live without it (I actually find gaming more entertaining than sexual activities in general). It's not a bad thing as long as you think about possible diseases, protection, the safe, sane and consensual rules in alternative sexual activities like BDSM etc. But then again I have G.A.D so I worry about these things above everything haha

20. Sex is a very personal thing. Some people will consider it a negative thing for moral or religious reasons. I think the way you go about having sex is really the easiest way to look at it in terms of positivity or negativity. If you have sex (responsibly) as a consenting adult, out of respect and consideration for yourself and your partner than it can be one of the most beautiful things you can do. But there are people who participate in casual sex for many psychological reasons that I think is detramental to their own self respect and moral fabric. Sex isn't a tool to help fix anything. It can be a release in both physical and mental way, but at the end of the day, when all is said and done, you have to be able to look in the mirror and respect yourself for the decisions you make.