Is smoking hookah substance abuse?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by twilight, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilight

twilight Well-Known Member

I have heard different opinions on this and maybe someone could clear it up for me. How often can you do it before it starts affecting your health?

2. Syd

Syd Guest

Smoking anything too much (regardless of the method) can be classified as abuse. Whether it's tobacco, marijuana, hashish, or other herbs.. the smoke from any substance is going to take a toll on your lungs and respiratory health in the long-term.

How much does it take until you begin to suffer from adverse effects? This is going to depend on the substance and the individual. I have a friend who's been smoking around a pack a day of cigarettes for 10 years, and he's had no major problems yet. On the other hand, another friend of mine had to be prescribed medication, special diet, and running exercises by a doctor due to lung problems after only 2-3 years of smoking.

I never really got addicted to smoking, even though most of my friends did. It's been years since I've smoked anything. Anyway, if you're smoking from a hookah once a day (15 min. of smoking for example) it's not going to hurt you much. If you run every day, get enough exercise, eat right, drink plenty of water.. a little smoking is probably not going to do much. Marijuana through a vaporizer is much healthier than hookah or other methods (except of course by pill such as Marinol, which is safest.. although Marinol is not exactly the same type of chemicals/ high)

There have been smokers who lived normal lives into their 80s and 90s.. they just weren't heavy smokers. It's not a great habit to have, but it is better than alcoholism.

3. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

Syd's right -- too much of anything is bad.

I had friends that tried hookah's in the desert while I was in the military. Some bought 'em and brought it back to the States. I never gave it a chance but I can't imagine anyway that it wouldn't be bad for you if done in excess.

Sorry I don't have an answer as to how often is considered adverse to your health. :unsure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.