Is sniffing nail polish wrong?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Dana.., Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana..

    Dana.. Well-Known Member

    i've started to sniff it because it makes me feel kinda weird, and good.
    Is it wrong?
     
  2. TheWr0ngChild

    TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

    Using any inhalant is really really bad for you. I cannot stress how bad. It can lead to brain damage, damage of tissues in the sinuses, lung damage everything. Stop now while you can as it is very addictive and your entering a very dark and dangerous world where instant death or landing up in a vegetable state are both highly possible.
     
  3. Dave_N

    Dave_N Guest

    Sniffing inhalents is bad because it goes directly to your lungs and is absorbed by your blood. It makes you feel lightheaded and high but causes major long term damage, so yeah, sniffing nail polish remover is wrong. Nail polish remover is a ketone (acetone), which is toxic if taken internally.
     
  4. danni

    danni Chat Buddy

    It is still wrong and on longterm you could be a veggie for the rest of your life. So stop before you become to addicting to it :hug:.
     
  5. BioHomocide

    BioHomocide Well-Known Member

    haha I was sniffing nail polish earlier..... Not for fun though, I'm just weird.

    Hmm unless you want your brain and lungs to suffer. You better stop now!
     
  6. Lace-Me-Up-x

    Lace-Me-Up-x Member

    I know this thread is a bit old but i feel like i need to put my 2 scents in so to speak.

    For the past 2 years i have been heavily addicted to solvents and i can not stress heavily enough how dangerous it is. One sniff really can kill. I never thought it could but i lost a very close friend of mine because they inhaled; it was their first time.

    Prolonged use can: damage your lungs, nose, throat, mouth, eyesight, give you extensive headaches, cause insomnia, cause terribly ngihtmares, damage your liver, kidneys and brain.

    Solvent abuse is highly addictive and is so so hard to break the habbit it really is. Please don't go down this route.

    Chelsey.x
     
  7. Petal

    Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

    Yep,it's wrong and extremely dangerous(sniffing solvents can kill instantly)..
    Have you tried to get any help for this?
     
  8. gentlelady

    gentlelady Staff Alumni

    Any kind of huffing is dangerous. It may make you feel different, but only leads to trouble down the line. Please don't continue this habit.
     
  9. forevermore

    forevermore Guest

    Please PLEASE stay away from solvents...I personally know someone whose incredible intelligence was destroyed by huffing several years ago...he's very lucky to be alive, but he will never be the same again.

    Just don't do it...once is all it takes to change your life forever.
     
  10. ToHelp

    ToHelp Well-Known Member

    Hi LostHeart,

    It's no more wrong than shooting yourself in the foot. Or hell, just blow your kneecap off with a gun! woot! See, "wrong" is a morality judgment. But dangerous, injurious, and deadly - yes.

    Sniffing is also known as huffing and man, huffers get off on all KINDS of shit which contain volatile substances and solvents--two well-known poisons. Paints. Paint-thinners. Your nail polish contains formaldehyde (eck)--a preservative used to keep cadavers from decaying. You want to be inhaling that shit? lol

    I also know that the polish itself contains a solvent (don't thing it's acetone) and solvents are ofte acetone. Take one whiff (go VERY light, now) of the polish remover and you see the pungent, powerfully deadly agent that it is. I'm a guy but I used to work in a QC ("Quality Control") lab--think laboratory, just like you see in on televion, yep (lol)--and came into contain very often with pure acetone. I was just a kid, about 18 really, and my first whiff just to see what the f- this was WAY too deep. Oof--now, that was 30 years ago and I still KNOW that smell. Amazing power of odor, ehh?

    Main reasons not to huff are 1) You starve your brain of oxygen (hypoxia) and 2) generally induce some degree of tachycardia (rapid heartbeat).

    While both of these effects have often produced instantaneous death in ovezealous users, the hypoxia is ALWAYS toxic over time. Forevermore describes a quintessential case story.

    Well, I'm rambling when the answer to your question, is it TOXIC = erhhm, yep. Very much so.

    hth by
    ToHelp
     
  11. JustPernicious

    JustPernicious Well-Known Member

    I was addicted to inhalants for the better part of a year. They are VERY addictive. To this day I still have memory problems and I developed an odd kind of dyslexia from it. Please stop, I know its addictive, but its extremely unhealthy.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.