is suicide a sin

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wants2die, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wants2die

wants2die Well-Known Member

if you beleve in God like I do, than you know all about sins and all that. so is killing your self a sin?

2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

apparently is and you go to hell.

Glad im not religious...

3. LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler Well-Known Member

Well, if you read through the bible you'll see that there are some pretty "good" people who did some pretty bad stuff: genocide, adultery, numerous murders. I figure if they can do all that and still get into heaven, then the Almighty probably won't bat an eye to me killing myself.

4. livestoned

livestoned New Member

At least they lived their life to its completion, and in death will face their consequences and may have a chance to make amends and try again so they can go to 'heaven'. Suicide is like a broken contract with god,(you didn't come here to end it prematurely) you're not likely to see a glimpse of 'heaven' if you end your life in this way (barring extreme circumstances) you will probably just have to start over until you do live your life to its end. Ultimately its your choice, maybe starting over is what you want. I don't know what your going through in particular but I'll be hoping that at least you'll always have hope. (for things to get better)

5. wizardjack

wizardjack Member

pretty much:biggrin:

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

For many Christians, suicide is an irrevocable sin because it is a sin for which you cannot make amends. Being a Catholic, I do know that the Catholic church has recently relaxed this view, stating that the mercy of God and the mystery of faith can save such souls, which I fully believe...but I wouldn't wanna chance it personally.

7. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

I’m also religious; as a result, I find myself contemplating the same question. Perhaps, this quote from “www.saintaquinas.com/mortal_sin.htm...ng the scripture for the first time in years.

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

So well said lonelychronicpainman.

I believe that you will find your way, and I am glad you are searching for it! I think sometimes, we are hurting so much that we forget that the search is a huge part of our life's journey toward understanding.

And you are absolutely right about faith. It is NOT something you either have or you don't. There are so many levels in between and so many ways to deepen and broaden our faith. It is not black and white at all, and it required vigilance. Faith can wane if we become complacent.

9. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Official SF Hugger Staff Alumni

There is a discussion in E-sangha (a buddhist discussion forum) about suicide. However, it requires a registration these days to see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.