Is Suicide a Sin?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Winslow, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Is Suicide a Sin? Do you believe that suicide will send you to Hell? If suicide is a sin, then why is that so? It astonishes me that many believe that suicide is an even worse sin than Stealing. How can suicide be worse than stealing if in suicide you don't hurt any innocent person? On the other hand, in Stealing, you hurt an innocent person, so I believe it's worse. Most likely, Daphna has some interesting answers.

Also if you look at other cultures such as Japan, suicide is an honor or at least a redemption by which one can atone for his misdeeds. So does one's attitude toward suicide depend on culture? If so, is it the culture in the West that frowns on suicide generally?

Don't worry, folks, I'm Not suicidal at the moment. And I do not want to encourage any suicides at all. Just wanted to see the origins of attitudes toward suicide, which I think, would also include cross-cultural comparisons.

2. UnkelHeit

UnkelHeit Well-Known Member

I'm not religious so I don't think it's a sin.

The way of thinking from different cultures has always interested me as well.

As for the West, I think the idea of immortality through our offspring certainly plays into it.

3. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I don't really care. I sin regularly, why should my death be any different?

Of course, I don't believe in the concept of sin anyway, so why it is relevant to me, I don't know...

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I don't think suicide is a sin. I'm not religious so I wouldn't think of it that way anyway. I think Hell is a human invention. So all in all, you can't be sent to Hell if you're already in it. I think suicide is frowned on or what ever, because people want everyone to be happy. I guess when someone isn't happy, it reminds them of what they aren't happy about deep down. My suicide ideations also stem from some sought of fantasy about what is on the other side of death. Maybe I think because this life is so crap that there might be something on the other side? Well if there is reincarnation, I don't want anything to remind me of my current life. But I guess there are exceptions. :mhmm:

5. Michael Ayin

Michael Ayin Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's as much of a sin as that I don't believe suicides go to hell permanently. Not in a fundamentalist sense.

There's no scriptural basis for someone who has killed themselves to be roasting in hell forever. That would come later on.

I honestly think it was used to scare people into living despite their conditions. Life could be bad and brutish then as now. It was a means of control.

6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'd say so. Considering the times some people went through. Throughtout history I guess religion sometimes scared people into sticking around.

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I don't know whether suicide is a sin or not, but I believe that suicide is one of the worst things that a person can do to him/herself, because you are killing a human being, even though it is yourself. You are murduring yourself. One of the Ten Commandments says that, 'Thou shall not kill' and by committing suicide, you are killing yourself, so I guess suicide is a sin.

8. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

personally i think suicide is a choice. my personal beliefs are that when i die ill come back again to learn what i didnt learn this time. same as last time. i believe in reincarnation. there is no heaven or hell. its what we make of it.

thats just my beliefs

9. UnkelHeit

UnkelHeit Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard anybody say this before. I think about this too. I think for some that aren't religious the thought of what, if anything, is on the other side can be enough to stop them from suicide. It can be a scary thought. That's a whole other topic though.

10. Things

Things Well-Known Member

If it's a sin, God shouldn't make his/her/it's creations think it's the only option.

I'm not religious, but this idea angers me. It just puts on more guilt on people who already feel bad enough.

11. th3silent0ne

th3silent0ne Well-Known Member

I would think of suicide as sin, but the question that bothers me is whether you go to hell or not. I've heard u go to hell for doing it, but I want to believe otherwise. I do belive in God and heaven and hell. I doubt tho you'd suffer in hell for suicide. according to the bible, God states "a sin is a sin, not matter how big or small." Also stating that the way to heaven is to belive in him, and his son sacrificed for our sins. So I am lead to believe that If I took my life, I wouldn't go to hell for it.

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I think a lot of people think about the 'afterlife' if indeed there is one. Do we go to Heaven, Hell or some kind of 'Astral World' after we die? Who really knows? I personally believe that the majority of us will reincarnate into another human being and continue where we left off. A few of us will go to Heaven to be with God and evil people will go to Hell. I honestly don't think that a person who commits suicide will be condemned to Hell. God would not be so cruel.

13. Michael Ayin

Michael Ayin Well-Known Member

The idea of going to hell permanently is a latter-day Catholic notion. Many other Christian branches have picked up the torch with his motif and ran with it.

From the NDE samples I've read and seen about, usually "hellish" experiences about dying or going to an underworld is because those people had guilts and fears they were playing out in the afterlife.

14. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I'm not sure but if it is all sins are forgivable (well in my faith anyways :unsure:)

15. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

It annoys me when people say it is a sin. What exactly separates the good from the bad? And do they know that they will go to hell? Of course they don't, they read it from a book that was supposedly the word of god.
    And if god is this cruel to send anyone to "hell" for simply not liking him, then to hell it is.

16. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the other thing I heard many people say, namely that suicide is somehow selfish. LOL Rediculous. It's selfish to want to keep someone around who wants to die just because YOU DON'T WANT TO HURT YOURSELF. People who say that ARE SELFISH THEMSELVES.

Also to say that suicide is a sin is rediculous, too. Nobody asked for life. Life happens to people or you could say that it's a gift. I think the latter is when people choose to have children because they feel they're doing someone a favor by giving them a life. The former is when people go and have children for selfish reasons etc. Anyway...your life is yours. And you have the right to do whatever you want with it...even if it is ending it. It's everyone's right. Anybody who disagrees with that is missing the fact people have the right to their own autonomy.

And Hell doesn't exist. It's a fable made up by people.

This being a forum filled with people in pain...I feel the need to say that I'm not encouraging anyone to go and kill themselves. I feel life is worth living. It can be beautiful even if achieving that takes some effort sometimes. Feel free to PM me if you're in need of advice and/or help and I'll try to help you the best way I can. Problems can be dealt with. Bad situations can be get out of. Things can be turned around.

Be safe. And stay positive. Life can be good.

17. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

This is kind of one of the things that keeps me from actually commiting suicide when I feel so low. I worry a lot that if I do I'll be punished and condemned for it, even though I'm not entirely sure what my views on heaven and hell are actually are. I guess I'm just scared of what could be waiting for me on the other side as a result of my actions if I ever do decide to go through with it. Maybe that fear is a good thing though, I'm not sure.

I agree with Sapphire about suicidal people not being the selfish ones. I've never understood the logic behind that. If someone is so unhappy with their life that they don't wish to carry on living, they shouldn't be made to feel as though they have to because of the way their loved ones would react. Maybe if their loved ones were perhaps a bit more supportive and helped them out with their problems, they wouldn't be feeling the way that they do. In a lot of instances, it's the persons loved ones that cause these suicidal feelings in the first place.

18. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Point well-taken that fear can be good. In my case, fear is what prevents me from committing suicide. In other words, the deterrent is fear of the suicidal attempt backfiring. For example, someone might use a gun-shot and survive but end up with severe brain-damage and therefore their whole body gets paralyzed,just as bad as having all 4 limbs amputated. So the suicidal attempt made their life much worse. It's that fear of a backfire that deters me, for the most part, from actually doing the suicide. So sometimes the emotion of fear can be constructive.

19. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

That was the biological use for fear, to stop us from doing things that would put us into harm's way. Unfortunately, it's been twisted by civilization into something far different.

20. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Suicide IS a sin.

Since you are technically taking a life.

It ranks a little better than Murder.

And you would indeed go to Hell.