Is suicide always bad? (Atheists only!)

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by 3rd-autistic-cuckoo, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rd-autistic-cuckoo

3rd-autistic-cuckoo New Member

You're having a terrible year - everything is going wrong, you're miserable, you can't face the prospect of getting out of bed tomorrow. Assuming you have no family and no friends, is there anything wrong with killing yourself? It's not like you're going to regret it.
  2. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Sorry to hear that you are having such difficulties. I do hope things improve.

This is a pro-life site only. While the feelings around suicidal thoughts can be discussed and support readily given, a discussion of whether suicide is right or not really cannot be had here.

I am leaving this thread open so that you can receive support, as you do need and deserve.
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry things are gong so wrong for you and so sorry for the loss of your Mum..

I wonder if you have any professional help?
    If not please talk to your GP asap.
    I see in your other posts that you have a friend who has helped you through some tough times..
    she would be devastated if you left I'm sure..
    don't give up ok
  4. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

If you haven't done absolutely everything you possibly can in order to help yourself, then you shouldn't do it.
    And if you think you've done absolutely everything you possibly can in order to help yourself, then guess what, chances are you're overlooking something.

It's not really a good thing or a bad thing, but it's pretty much always a waste.
  5. joonior

joonior Active Member

I wonder the same thing. I don't believe in God (why I still capitalize the name I have no idea) but for some reason I still worry about it. I also try to remember that there's at least one person out there that would be devastated by my death.

My honest belief is that the show ends as soon as you die and whatever happens afterward should be of no concern as I won't be there to witness it or be judged by others for it. Still, I hold on...

I hope things are alright for you. If you ever want to just talk or whatever I'll be here. Take care.
  6. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Is it bad? Yes. It brings a lot of pain.
    Is it always immoral? I personally don't think so.
  7. xsomewhatdamagedx

xsomewhatdamagedx Well-Known Member

the truth is that it's up to you no one can really say that it's wrong or right because all they can do is assume that thing's get better yet most of us know that isnt always true.i know that alot of people think that suicide is a selfish act but i always say to those people isnt it as equally selfish to make someone continue to live just because it suites you or just because you don't want someone's death on you're conscience just because its easier for you ? i dont always think that people necessarily want to die i just think that they dont want to be in pain anymore
  8. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I believe is if you truely (and I mean Truely) try your hardest to keep living, and you just can't seem to be happy, then I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. I

I am by no means suggesting you should kill youself, but Morally, I see nothing wrong with it. And that's if you have done everything in your power to bring yourself happiness.
  9. neutral

neutral Well-Known Member

Suicide is illogical for most people. This logic is based on the following, you maybe able to resolve some of the problems, but you cannot undo suicide, since we will all die eventually anyway, why not attempt to resolve the problems and see if that helps. From a moral, right vs wrong point of view, suicide would have an impact on friends and family, even people who do not seem to be close at the moment. From an emotional / sensory point of view, suicide can be a painful messy affair and failure would result in a lower quality of life.

I will not patronise you with any emotional pleas, but great effort should go into identifying and resolving any issues before an attempt at suicide.
  10. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that your going through trouble. :(

To answer your question if suicide is bad? It's always up to you and what you decide. No one can force you believe or do something you don't want. I believe suicide is bad because it cuts your life short in a general sense. Suicide can make us sometimes make us feel alone... It makes me feel alone a lot... However I've reached out to online communities like this one which is somewhat helping me. However I still have issues revolving around suicide.
  11. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

You may discuss such things more openly at Mad Season Forum. But we are still a compassionate bunch and nobody is going to advise you to do it. For one thing it's against the law. But theoretical discussions about whether it's right or wrong and whether others have a right to judge those who do it are allowed. Oh and we are mostly atheists. Those who aren't keep it to themselves--sort of the opposite of most places come to think of it.

Killing oneself is, anyway, a misnomer. We don't kill ourselves. We are simply defeated by the long, hard struggle to stay alive. When somebody dies after a long illness, people are apt to say, with a note of approval, "He fought so hard." And they are inclined to think, about a suicide, that no fight was involved, that somebody simply gave up. This is quite wrong.”
    ―Sally Brampton--Shoot the Damn Dog, A Memoir of Depression
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  12. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

13. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

I meant counselling someone to commit suicide is against the law. People have been arrested and convicted for that.
  14. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

no its amoral, the law has been wrong before by the way. the law is just an institution of social control for the most part
  15. Fredericks

Fredericks Well-Known Member

I don't think it's wrong or bad. I think I'd only have a problem with it in really narrow circumstances, like if you were a single parent and it would orphan your child or something. Otherwise, I can't condemn it.
  16. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

Suicide is hard.. I recently lost a friend to suicide. He was only 17 and hid his sadness too well. I feel that he was too young and maybe if he had reached out and got the help he needed, he might still be here today. However help for young people is scarce and we do most things alone. I do not blame him or think he was a coward. It takes a strong person to go against all your senses and will to actually kill yourself.

It is bad in the sense it hurts people, but there has to be some understanding as to why. When someone is in so much pain and depression they succeed in killing themselves then we must accept it was their choice, and they are now in a better, and happier place.
  17. lets face it there is no heaven. you just die. and it's not about the dying, death is a fascinating think were you get warm and fuzzy inside then you get tired and go to sleep forever. I don't think it is bad if there is nobody to miss you. I would never hurt others but I have not a soul in the world that cares about me.

So yah if it comes to it, I think you should at least make the suicide nice. I would do my favorite thing, then take to many pain killers and die while feeling good with suicide video blogs made to tell people it wasn't their fault.

The people on the outside can be selfish. They want you back because of grief but you would not like to be back. Suicide is usually viewed as bad on the outside but on the inside it feels right.
  18. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I lost my mother to suicide and I was mostly angry. However, I guess she did it because she felt like she needed a way out of life. It'll feel good because you won't feel anything at all after you do it. I don't know if there'll be a warm and fuzzy feeling... But, I won't follow in her foot steps because I want to enjoy life to it's full potential... Even though I have lots of self hate and anger. - However I managed to pull past some of the hate and anger.

So, suicide is completely based on your decision. No one can stop you - we can encourage you not to do it. But, we could never make a decision for you sense you have the freedom to do so.
  19. crossflap

crossflap New Member

There is no God, so there is no hell, so you don't have to worry about burning to death for all eternity.

To another person I will always say suicide is wrong because if you even just the sligheest glimmer of hope that things will get better, then it's not worth doing.

But, as an individual who suffers from suicidal feelings where you have no hope, then I have to say that is a question that a suicidal person can answer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.