Is suicide always irrational?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Anonymous2, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

I know that most suicidal people are irrational. They have decent lives and temporary problems.... but for those of us who have permanent problems and serious impairments, I think that suicide is actually a rational feeling. In fact, if I was rational, I would have commit suicide many years ago.

Recently, I've considered seeing a psychiatrist; however, I'm actually kind of worried that the medications might make me blind to reality. I might falsely think my life is worth living and irrationally decide not to commit suicide. This could be a irrational and destructive decision since I don't contribute much to society.
  2. dreamer11

dreamer11 Member

Please don't say that you don't contribute much to society. Sometimes I think that too, but then think of your close friends and family, even if you don't realize it, they'd be devastated if you committed suicide. You DO matter!
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

yes suicide is always irrational as the element of hope is not there and with support hun you can get hope back depression takes all rationality away
  4. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Suicide is only really rational for the terminally ill, otherwise no. We ALWAYS have other options. Oh and if you tke the meds and beliee your life is worth living, then it's worth living simply because you see it that way. Whether it's worth it or not is based on your own perception and judgement.
  5. flowerpot

flowerpot Well-Known Member

I think it is an understandable feeling, but no, not rational. I genuinely believe depression messes with your mind & you cannot think clearly. Some people have depression for a very long time so this may go on for years. But for those who recover from depression I think they can look back in disbelief & wonder how they ever thought/felt the way they did about their life.

Life isn't what's terrible. It's the circumstances experienced within life, which can always be changed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.