Is suicide becoming an easy way out? like bankruptcy and divorce?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by n_th_n, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n_th_n

n_th_n New Member

I would like to know peoples views on suicide, bankruptcy and divorce as it seems to me that people are no longer thinking of the hurt but more rather the personal gain.
  2. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

Divorce, BankTrupcy and Suicide...yeah, we call that the big three here at SF.
    no, just kidding. I don't think anyone has ever said that. I am not sure how to answer.

I don't really see the 3 things being related in any way to each other, either
    in groups of 2 similar thins, or especially as a triad of ways to achieve
    personal gain. just me, maybe. I don't see any of the mentioned
    bummer conditons as being connected
  3. n_th_n

n_th_n New Member

no particular correlation of the 3 but i was just asking if typically tough things that occur in life now hold any shame or social uncomfort because we no longer really take them seriously i.e get into debt - declare bankruptcy... get married and know that if it doesnt work you can get divorced etc....
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I understand what you mean. Sometimes it seems as though there are "easy answers" or ways to get around responsibilities these days. Makes me wonder if it's society as a whole or just certain individuals.

But I also wonder and feel for the people who get caught in a lousy situation that they really didn't cause - and then I'm glad for them that there are some "easier" ways around their problems. (Um, I guess I don't have an answer. Sorry.)
  5. bluewail

bluewail Well-Known Member

i'm not at all sure that suicide is a way of acheiving 'personal gain'... most people do it as a last resort because they're in pain and they're desperate. and i don't think anything about it is particularly easy either.
  6. Acy

Good point, Bluewail. Suicide is not an "easy" answer, and it doesn't seem to bring about personal gain for the attempter. Perhaps the OP means it's the idea that a person get away from their shame, responsibilities, or fears by committing suicide. (I would not recommend suicide. There are other options that offer life - and a better life, too.)
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't think any of these are easy ways out. Divorces, bankrupty, and suicide are when everything is gone, and there is NO other way out.
  8. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

I still don't see those 3 topics used logically in the same discussion.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

They're ends to downhill roads.

Marriage downhill -> divorce is final answer
    Finances downhill -> bankruptcy is final answer
    Life downhill [perhaps as a result of the first two] -> suicide is final answer.

They're ways out when there is nothing left to do, and they're not pleasant.
  10. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

officially aborting this thread for higher ground. sorry to have interrupted.
    no offense to the OP or you or anyone. none of this makes any sense to me.
    seeing as how it is a soapbox, or 'debate' type thread, it don't need to make sense
    to me and unless I got something to add, I should take a powder. on that note :)
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  11. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Suicide isn't the easy way out, it's the quickest one and most stupid. One pull, one jump, one drink and bam, your whole life's gone. It's sad, really.
  12. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I really would like to know some of these elusive escapes.
  13. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

lets' see if you agree with me on this one. bankrucptcy, divorce and
    suicide by nature are going to veer off in 3 vastly different directions
    in terms of having a rational discussion about any as seperate entities.

as a category inclusive of all three, it needs to go back to the thread
    factory for a retrofit?

Also, I fail to see where "shame" or "social uncomfort" enter into the
    discussion. unless I am unwittingly engaging in undue semanticism.
    A lack of "shame" or I prefer the term devoid of accountability and personal
    responsibility can be a factor in filing chapter 11 every 6 years, if nobodys
    looking, 7 if they are.

divorce: no comment as I am unqualified as an eggzpert on divorce.
    and we collectively need to pull a hard left and do some travelin before
    suicide can once again be discussed semi rationally, with the other 2
    bugaboos now having been left far behind in a cloud of dust.

I see you skipped divorce and bankruptcy and commented only on
    suicide. makes sense to me. the first 2 scarcely have a thing to do
    with one another and both are far removed from suicide as a topic
    or topic(s)

I move that the thread be consolidated to suicide only. and as to
    whether or not it is an easy way, or quick fix. that is a lot easier to
    offer opinions about and is less muddy as a discussion. just me own
    2 cents.
  14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

I'll try being as politically correct as possible in regards to divorce and bankrupcy.

Divorce is the synonym of failure and giving up (oops, nevermind political correctness!). Most people divorce because they have too many fights as far as I'm concerned. A good number of these people divorce without trying therapy and trying their best to fix their marriage. I would assume that the majority of couples who eventually marry dated for less than two years, which is really silly. Contrary to popular belief, couples SHOULD have hard times before they marry. A "perfect relationship" is a lie IMO; there's probably something wrong with a couple that never had any fights before getting married. When they marry, and as time passes by, you grow more comfortable and, well, you can no longer hide anything, which will eventually get you into fights with your partner. People don't understand that fighting is a normal part of marriage. I'm not sure if you could call it the "easy" way out. You could, however, call it the stupid way out. You should know the person you're marrying before doing so. People also seem to forget that marriage is a commitment, it's not always easy. My parents have gone through a COUNTLESS number of fights over hundreds of different issues, to the point where my mom has left the house to sleep with her parents on more than one occasion. They have, however, overcome their problems with time. They attended therapy, they gave it their best, and they're happy now. Either that or they're pretty good at lying!

Now, bankrupcy is completely different. Bankrupcy is not something you would like to do. You declare bankrupcy when your business is in ruins and you don't have FULL control of your business, it depends on many things. Simply put: No, bankrupcy isn't the easy way out, it's a human being's failure that can't be contributed to one sole factor.
  15. Acy

I don't know the long-term, elusive escapes. For me, some good short-term escapes are

seeing puppies and kittens :cat::dog:
    being outside :surfing:,:tumblewee

having a treat :popcorn:

calling a friend :phone:

hearing a good joke :hysterica

I'm seriously wondering if, for me at least, if happiness is just learning to notice all these little things and then to make the most of the moment. I dunno. :dunno:

Sorry OP, I drifted off-topic there.
  16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

It's the little things in this world that make the difference indeed.
  17. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

makes sense. I was likely a little too harsh about bankruptcy. I know
    some people in the real world who have used it like a getover way to just
    start their pattern of fiscal insanity all over again. for people who really
    had no choice, it is likely very disturbing and not a walk in the park.

divorce: see previous post :wink:

the whole first post in this thread was/is confusing to me. I don't
    see the 3 topics in the same conversation as making sense. others
    have disagreed. that is what makes the world go round, in a purely
    allegorical sense anyway. seeing as how the earth is flat, it doesn't
    make sense for it to go around. we'd all fall off wouldn't we?
  18. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Life goes on after bankruptcy and divorce.
  19. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Wrong. People who experience both are more likely to commit suicide.

In a way, both things could lead to suicide, so it CAN be devastating for some people.
  20. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

NOW he tells us :doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.