Is suicide ever justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ĺ

ĹốŞŧβōΨž

I know, but to those on the outside, suicide is preventable. They see it as something that can be controlled, because they don't understand. They just feel the loss and the hurt and think what could be done. To them, a disease is beyond your control, but because depression and mental illness has such a negative stigma, they either don't want to believe it, or want to blame something as a cause. Suicide is never inevitable, but at the same time depression isn't as easy to cure or prevent as those around you may think it is.
Aye totally agree on this point, i wish we lived in a more open world for one thing everyone hurts at some point, so why are we put in a box of being unstable if we want to end it, it hurts me to think about the friends i have lost because they havent been able to handle my lows. I dont think theres a magical cure for everyone.

I DO believe that there is something for out there for everyone that if not cure you help the pain make it easier to get up each morning.

We all need a purpose maybe mine is finding what can fix me, though personally i think i have given up.

Its easy for people to blame its harder for them to help

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don't know if it is justifiable. Justice is subjective anyway. There is nothing truly just or unjust because it's all subjective.
But it is certainly understandable!

I hope for anyone alive and suffering to find relief and happiness without the need for physical death.
I hope for anyone who has taken their own life that same relief.

I guess I've never really lived for myself. I'm not sure I now how. The ONLY reason I stick around is guilt of hurting people.

Same, the only reason I stick around is because ive read alot of suicide suvivors stories on different forums and don't want my family to go through that. But I'm getting to the point where I KNOW they are strong a lot stronger than I, and would mourn and get over it. They could go on with their lives, and it would be a lot easier if I wasn't around. Than going up and down this roller coaster that I'm putting them through

Advent

Well this is the question that I came here this evening to find out.

I dont come here that often as I find it triggers me quite a lot, but tonight I am at my wits end - I really am. I wont bore you all with the reasons as they are a novel in themselves , but having read all of the above posts I do at least have a glimmer of hope, sithspit has posted some very true statements and they can only be made by someone who has BEEN THERE so to speak.

To be honest, only an hour ago I was busy counting up all the fluoxitine pills I have in the cabinet, wondering how many it would take to finish me off, then I thought I would visit here and see how other folks are coping.

Suicide is only ever justifiable by the person that makes the thought, to those outside it will always invoke horror and sadness. It would be so easy for me to swallow these 100 or so pills, but then I thought of the folks and more importantly my 3 dogs that would be without their master. Suicide really is just a complete breakdown of ones feelings towards the external life. I almost feel that suicide is a weakness in me that I must overcome somehow, not a day goes by without THE thought entering my head, I try to dismiss it and do something else. But sometimes thats hard to do, especially when we are really down.

So to answer your question, to me at least the answer would have to be NO.

Thats quite hard to write actually, given what I was doing before.

I am glad I came here tonight, this has helped me sort a few things out, as we all know its not easy talking this way with non-suffers.

Thanks

Rich

Belladonna

He's showing he cares and he loves you! I'm not sure how your relationship is with him though. But he's offering you a lot there, which shows that he's open to you moving near him? Why is it so bad to be dependent on someone for a while, especially when you are suffering the way you are? It's ok to ask for help and to receive it.
Wow, my brother would love you for saying this if I showed him! We're close for siblings, but I try to protect him from myself so that he doesn't end up hating me. For a few years, we barely spoke, I think I made him sick of me because I got triggered into a depression after a friend and I discovered that her cousin had been secretly videotaping us using the bathroom. I try not to push him away, but a part of that effort is trying hard to not be too problematic, a burden.

Belladonna

Same, the only reason I stick around is because ive read alot of suicide suvivors stories on different forums and don't want my family to go through that. But I'm getting to the point where I KNOW they are strong a lot stronger than I, and would mourn and get over it. They could go on with their lives, and it would be a lot easier if I wasn't around. Than going up and down this roller coaster that I'm putting them through
That is EXACTLY how I feel. In a way, it's like I don't have the power to REALLY hurt anyone, if you look at me pragmatically.

Belladonna

Well this is the question that I came here this evening to find out.

I dont come here that often as I find it triggers me quite a lot, but tonight I am at my wits end - I really am. I wont bore you all with the reasons as they are a novel in themselves , but having read all of the above posts I do at least have a glimmer of hope, sithspit has posted some very true statements and they can only be made by someone who has BEEN THERE so to speak.

To be honest, only an hour ago I was busy counting up all the fluoxitine pills I have in the cabinet, wondering how many it would take to finish me off, then I thought I would visit here and see how other folks are coping.

Suicide is only ever justifiable by the person that makes the thought, to those outside it will always invoke horror and sadness. It would be so easy for me to swallow these 100 or so pills, but then I thought of the folks and more importantly my 3 dogs that would be without their master. Suicide really is just a complete breakdown of ones feelings towards the external life. I almost feel that suicide is a weakness in me that I must overcome somehow, not a day goes by without THE thought entering my head, I try to dismiss it and do something else. But sometimes thats hard to do, especially when we are really down.

So to answer your question, to me at least the answer would have to be NO.

Thats quite hard to write actually, given what I was doing before.

I am glad I came here tonight, this has helped me sort a few things out, as we all know its not easy talking this way with non-suffers.

Thanks

Rich
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this, Rich.

Belladonna

that's really interesting you say that. do you feel that if your friend killed himself, you'd feel guilty for that?

you sound like you put others way ahead before yourself. i was similar and i was dying for a lot of people around me because....so many people do that. when you start living for yourself you truly start to live and experience life, it puts the pain, when i am suicidal in perspective, because i know what it is to live. that's just me though.

i do hear what pain you're in and you're feeling like you're burdening everyone. i have felt so guilty for that in the past that i shut up and have tried not to burden people but this didn't take away what was going on inside.
I already felt guilty before that suspicion just because I hadn't called him in about a month. If it were suicide, I'd feel worse because I was his support system. I guess I put others ahead of me because I was trained to earn my keep by making up for my screwed-up-ness, so I think you are right. I don't know what living for myself even is, especially now, because I don't know how to be happy. I don't like life, even when it comes to simple things like eating. I long to be like the Jetsons where eating is just popping pills instead of going through the chore of eating! Thank you so much for writing this.

Advent

Nooo, thankyou. I mean that.

Since I posted that I have been thinking that the folks I would leave behind have already had so much death in the family that I simply cannot justify anymore. It really would finish off my sister who already has M.E to start with and my poor dogs would need to be re-homed as well. Despite all the hardship I am going though at the moment, I have to think about the future, thats something that not many of us do. We only think about the past and present. Yes I may have absolutly no money, the bank wants its overdraft back, the utility companies threaning to cut me off - BUT i still have my health (albeit slightly tierd) and a roof over my head ( well for now at least).

Tommorow I am going to start afresh, I will phone the bank and all those who want paying and try to sort it out instead of upsetting myself to the point of ending it.

To those of you who are down, PLEASE look to the future - yes I know its hard. Take stock of what things mean to you and think about those people who are left behind - HOPEFULLY you will see through the mist of depression to see a bright sunny future. ( that sounds so corny, buts its true)

Rich

Crue-K

It depends on one's beliefs.

Beliefs are unquestioned assumptions which are often speaken aloud and practiced day to day in your everyday life.

Assumptions are neither good or bad, but simply unexplored belief patterns which have been questioned rationally or empirically. Most of what we do, believe and say are based on false assumptions. You need to find all your assumptions and question them with the utmost cruelty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00