Is Suicide Selfish?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by yous, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yous

yous Well-Known Member

Someone told me that anyone who thinks of suicide is selfish.

I strongly oppose this. I mean if it weren't for the shi**y world we live in, we won't be like this!

But just want to know what everyone thinks.

2. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Wanting something is the definition of selfish. Especially if you do not need it.. It is just as selfish to want someone to live.

3. 41021

41021 Banned Member

eating is selfish

i'm on both sides of the suicide fence...i've lost several and i want to go

i don't think those i lost were selfish i think they were hurting and somehow i failed them, others failed them, life failed them

who knows?

when one hurts this much, i can see how someone might feel their loved one was selfish...i've only felt compassion and failing.

i'm so tired. i don't want to lose anyone else :no:

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Is wanting to keep someone who is suffering badly alive to avoid sadness selfish?

Either way someone's being selfish.

5. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

It straddles both sides of the fence.

It is selfish to leave this life and leave a huge, gaping hole in the lives of everyone who knew and loved you because the absolute reality is that they will not get over it. It simply doesn't happen...it is impossible. And the closer you are to the person who takes their life, the more you feel their loss. Sorry, but reason it out all you want...the fact is when you cause such a traumatic event in so many lives, it is selfish!

On the other side, when someone is suffering, in pain and ready to go, it seems selfish to ask them to continue to live so that you do not feel bad.

Where I think this is truly defined is on whether the person has received all available treatments to improve because while mental health conditions like depression are not necessarily curable...they can be driven into remission time and again! Every person I've ever spoken to who is going through depression or bipolar disorder thinks that THEIR condition will not respond to treatment...but guess what: a high percentage of these individuals DO respond to treatment.

So in my view...if you're depressed and you haven't exhausted every available treatment option, then yes, you are absolutely selfish!

And if you have exhausted *EVERY* available treatment option, and still have not improved, then you are not unlike the individual suffering from a terminal illness...and I think you are more worthy of understanding.

6. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I used to think that suicide was a selfish act, however with that being said at the time i was in a 'dark hole of shit' and didn't care what others thought because my life was fucking awful and it's my life and my choice. So just clearing that out of the way now that even though i thought it was selfish i still contemplated it and attempted.

When i furthered my research on it i found a statement that made complete sense and i thought about it for a while and i completely agreed with it. It basically said that, the people asking for someone to continue their life when clearly their life is hell is a selfish thing to do. Sure it may be hard on family members and friends, but think fo the person suffering. They're now at piece.

NOW with THAT being said i am not encouraging ANYONE to do it. If you were asking out of curiousity or as debate type question or personal opinion then there's my answer. If you were trying to get someone to convince you that it is or it isnt the 'right' thing to do, then please count me out of as i dont want anything to do with 'helping' someone make their decision. I beleive one has to develop their own opinions and do their own research and really think about it, if you are asking questions then that is good because it means you are still uncertian.

Sorry if that was confusing or came across rude. :/

7. 1victor

1victor Well-Known Member

I cannot agree with this statement. If there are "lives" (people) who are effected by the suicide it means that they failed to invest enough into this person happiness, therefore they can be taken out of equation.

Suicide never happens in the vacuum. There are strong signals and often direct statements before suicide is committed.

8. 41021

41021 Banned Member

i failed R...today is the anniversary date of his funeral
    and i failed grandpa, and i failed all those others i have lost **tears**
    terrible track record huh? and i'm failing people here too.

I failed to "invest" enough? **sobbing** I thought i'd tried but obviously i didn't or they would still be here. i need to stop letting people down.

i was kind of coming to that conclusion too

i'm the one who shouldn't be breathing anymore
    i'm the failure
    :sad:

9. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

I don't think suicide is selfish.
    No one else is in our own skin- so no one else knows 100% how someone feels. Staying alive for someone else is just ridiculous. People who haven't ever been depressed or suicidal- just don't get it.

10. cashing_out

cashing_out Well-Known Member

Of course its selfish. So are the survivors. They are not in our shoes. Who are they to judge us. Are they in our head? Do they feel our pain? NO. Being the survivor on several occasions, I have seen what suicide does to the family and friends of the person that took their own life. It destroys them. Rips families apart. Destroys friendships. And here I sit with my own plans.....to do just that. So, am I being selfish??? Youbetcha.

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

What's so great about selflessness?

12. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

I just pray you forget about it. That's all I want. Maybe just try to live for others and that will give you strength to live for you and then you can do both. Sending my love and hope to you.

marty

13. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Well the fact that someone said that it's selfish to think of suicide means they are selfish. Because more or less they are saying it out of their own cause. If no one felt guilty or hurt by someones suicide, no one would care. So no one would be selfish. If that makes sense. It takes one to know one?

I don't think it's selfish. We're just looking for the best solution to our problem. Like everyone else does, every day - every minute.

14. Lilly

Lilly Well-Known Member

i think that it COULD be selfish, but that it's also then selfish for others to think it is selfish.
    Allow me to explain.
    See, people might think it's selfish because they just lost someone they love, and they don't think that the person took their feelings into consideration before taking their own life; but then also, are they not being a little selfish as well because they are thinking only of the fact that the other person is dead and they miss them and not of what they were feeling as well!so theyre both doing the same thing, its like the pot calling the kettle black.
    Also, it could be selfis for a person to kill themself if they don't think about the ipact it will have on others at all. however, i think that people do think about it, but in that state of mind they dn't realize that it would impact others in the wa that it does, or they dimply rationalize it in their minds so that it makes sense to kill themself.....so its not really selfish
    though is it not also selfish for one to tell another to keep living, even though the life that thy live is so horrible to them that they would think about suicide?
    its really very complicated and must be looked at from both sides.
    i think its really a matter of opinion, if you think its selfish it is, if not, its not.
    If you believe it, it true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.