Is suicide spontaneous?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by 03201985, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 03201985

03201985 New Member

Hopefully, my thread title makes sense. To those who actually complete suicide, is it a spontaneous action or something that is planned? For me, I think it would be very hard to set a time and day where I would actually go through with it. I know that I have bad days and I eventually come out of it. However, if I was having extremely emotional day and I had access to a <mod edit - method>, I could easily see myself making a spontaneous decision and pulling the the trigger. Is this how suicide happens or are the details more planned out?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I do not think anyone could answer this question to be honest because as everything else in life everyone is different. One attempt I made was planned just an hour or two before hand, another that put me on life support was a spur of the moment action, it really did nearly kill me, I was in Intensive care and a ventilator was breathing for me. I cannot speak for anyone else but to guess I would say 75% are a spur of the moment action and 25% planned, that is just my opinion.

I just want to make clear that while discussing this topic SF is a pro life forum and I'm answering to give you insight on my experiences, methods cannot be discussed,. I do realize you could be asking to try and talk someone out of it so I am not going to assume anything.

Kind regards,
    Petal.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Only the dead knows the answer. How do we know if it was planned or spur of moment thing. That is for completed ones.

4. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

I can only speak for myself, but my attempts have all been spontaneous, triggered by intense anxiety or just by having a devilishly bad day.

But again, that's just me.

5. 03201985 - I'm gunna call you "Three" ,for the sake of simplicity.
    To answer yur question, I believe it is planned in most cases, though I have mostly only known people who relate to why I contemplate doing such a thing.
    I can only speak for myself and others I have known who have attempted suicide, and at that I only speak of those who spoke with me about it beforehand. Most of the successful ones had planned it out well in advance of their actual action of committing to the deed of taking their own life. Most were successful. Most of the few who were not, I think it was because people who loved them stopped them, or saved them before it was too late for them to survive, but they did plan it. Some people I knew did spontaneously take their own life. They got bad news, a doctor confirmed a terminal condition is most cases, and sometimes it was something like... if such and such breaks up with me, or, if I loose this investment... -I'll kill myself, and I've seen it happen.
    I believe that, in such cases, it inherently depicts some level of pre-planning, as in 'if I get diagnosed with ... -I'll just off myself' ,which I have heard before too. I think sometimes it seems to the living that the ones who have killed themselves did not contemplate doing it beforehand. I think most people who kill themselves do contemplate it very much before doing so.
    I know that there are many 'spur-of-the-moment' suicides. Those are the most tragic to me, but that is an opinion. Personally there have been times that I would have offed myself if I had had instant access to my pistol, and there still are every now and then. Those are times when my own death would be preferable to me. Times when I want experience to end. Sometimes I like what I'm going through. It's rare. When I do though, at those times I think somehow it might be worth all the other experiences.

6. pp272

pp272 Member

For me, the thought is always lurking in the background, but the actual attempt is very spontaneous, or so it seems. Of course, there is always a trigger, but the tough thing is identifying what that is. Sure, we all have bad days - I have a lot of them! But what is it about a particular day that pushes me towards acting to cause harm to myself??? This question can lead to another - therefore is any suicide attempt spontaneous even if we don't realise or understand why?

7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I have ideas of how I will do it, no set plan in mind yet. But if my emotional pain ever trumps my fear of dying, then my suicide will be spontaneous.

8. Givinup

Givinup Member

I think it's 50/50.. Like someone said depends on the person.. Me personally, I imagine it as I wanna be alone where nobody could see me or hear me.. I would want to have a bottle of whiskey or vodka, a pack of cigarettes and an arm gun... I can see me sending a text to couple people with saying goodbye, I'm sorry, and I love you... Then finishing that bottle, last cigarette and pulling the trigger... Mine would be planned and safe that nobody could interrupt me..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.