Is therapy worth it?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by jameslyons, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I really have a low opinion of counselors and therapists. I can't see a reason to go beyond it makes my family and friends more comfortable -- something I care less and less about. I don't think there's any hope for me, and if there is hope it wont' be found in some bs group therapy session.

For those of you that have invested in therapy-- did you gain anything from it besides an articulated voice of what was disturbing you? I swear if I hear one more counselor say I'm intelligent and self-aware I'll stab myself in the kidney.

Every time I've gone to meet with somebody I get the feeling that they have only the most cursory knowledge of my problems and its all clinical. I don't need somebody to tell me what PTSD is or what depression is.... so why do they keep talking as though I never had the ambition to perform a very difficult google search :tongue: ?

Useless duds, every last one of them.

I already know how to control my urges. I'm well read and my sister is a psychologist - research not clinical, but ehh.

Go running!
    Hold an ice cube...brrr doesn't that feel good?
    Snap a rubber band against your skin.

Suicide Compulsion
    Go to a hospital!
    .... even though hospitals only make you bored for 24 hours and then you're back in your non-functioning environment/ hell. :) Thanks for the advice, Doctor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Not really any use for me other than getting meds.

I distrust them imensely.
  3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

i find them useless, when you are a smarter and a better person then the therapist you will see the therapist will just try to dumb you down to control you

overall I think therapy is useless and people need to deal with crap themselves though i wouldnt mind seeing a decent therapist

the whole concept of therapy is dumb, you pay a person to listen to you talk, some of these criminals have the balls to charge you $100+ an hour, infact most of them do, therapists shouldnt get more then like $30 an hour, most of them are probably in it for the money anyway
  4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

James: unfortunately, most of them appear to be useless to those of us who need them most. I've had about 20 and they all said the same things, some of which you mentioned in your post. But the most recent one has actually given me some insight I did not have before. It doesn't hurt that we have similar interests and also talk about art, music, museums, etc...I know that she is probably using that as a method to get a little more inside my head but since I usually feel better after leaving, I think I found one that's finally useful.
  5. Shifter

Shifter Well-Known Member

wow, same here.....

anyway i went t therapy and look, i ended up here, im in constant pain....i still can barely do anything right. yah it works : P (sarcasm if u didn't know) I'm only feeling better now because i talked about it. to YOU guys and my friends and family.
  6. jacknife

jacknife Guest

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you've come to the conclusion that all therapists are useless because your experiences with some of them didn't live up to your expectations?

Like countless other drones, you expect superheroes to come to your rescue and solve your problems for you. By shifting the blame to others, you can shrug off your own responsibility and indulge in the luxury of complacency. Your thought process is self-destructive, you have to be willing to fight off your insecurities or your life is never going to change.
  7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey james therapists aren't all useless..I do agree a large part of them are, but there are some who genuinely care.. After going thru several I finally found one I connect with..She was suicidal and depressed and led a not so healthy life style.. She got fed up one day and went to school to become a therapist and because of her past she is able to relate what I go thru..It took two years for me to see the progress, but in year three I am making progress. I still backslide and she picks me up and dusts me off..
  8. Shifter

Shifter Well-Known Member

omg one that actually cares :O i thought they just studied the brain and told u you are not worthless so they can make a profit
  9. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I agree with this, but by the same logic I wish therapists could tell you off the bat there is nothing we can do for you, you just have to figure things out on your own or find a peace on your own or stick up for yourself

people give therapists to much power i think the therapists love the power to, it is a bull shit job, i bet alot of them thought it would be an easy career and they would make a ton of money which is why they choose it
    therapy should be like a governmennt service to make people better, not these mind prostitutes which is what they are, anyone charging $100 an hour to listen to you babble is a criminal
  10. jameslyons

Hmmm ,a shame there's no middle finger emoticon :biggrin:

Yes I am a drone. Like if I get into a car accident and my liver is dripping out of my body, I expect, like a drone, for a doctor to solve my problem. :laugh: No, Jack. I expect somebody who has been given social authority in matters of mental health to be able to help with depression and self-destructive urges. If they can't help, then I question if they're worthwhile. Just like if I were to say I was an astrophysicist, but thought the Doppler effect was the cellphones the Martians use to communicate with the fish-people of Jupiter, then people should question my ability as an astrophysicist.

And to answer your question, yes. I use empirical evidence to make a subjective perception of the world which I then follow. A relatively common experience. And seeing how this thread was partly a rant, but also a question...well maybe James is not as rigid in his thinking as you made out to be.

You're a presumptuous assmonkey with a boner for therapists. :mad:

I don't expect superheroes to rescue me. I expect to kill myself, Jack. And you, my friend, are coming off as the social drone. "Don't you know!? Americans are guaranteed the right to PURSUE happiness, not OBTAIN it."

11. jameslyons

That's nice to hear Joeseph. I haven't had much luck, yet.
  12. jameslyons

Well that's something, Mike. I don't know...I suppose I should switch again. :dry:
  13. jameslyons

14. jameslyons

They're like chief Boyardee, you think you'll get a quick and easy Italian meal, but instead you get crap.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.