Is there a spiritual reason for all this?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sickjk, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sickjk

sickjk Member

This total lack of interest in nearly everything that ever interested you. The constant glaring conviction that everything is completely pointless. I find it really hard being around what i now view as vacuous people pursuing things and ideas that mean nothing.
    I can hear my old self telling me i'm clutching at straws, that these are symptoms of depression... etc. But I feel like i need to take a new direction in life, from what i know probably buddhism or some type of mysticism.
    Wondering if anyone here feels similar?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

A saying I like is "All paths lead nowhere".

I've just watched Alice In Wonderland, and the Mad Hatter keeps asking "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" and eventually Alice asks "Ok, so why is it?" to which Hatter replies "I don't know".

The joy is walking the path, or considering the question. I think people are wrong if they focus to much on destinations or answers.

Maybe, the joy in life comes not from accepting Buddhism or mysticism, maybe it comes from not knowing?

3. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

Sounds good if you can feel life better and deeper throught that =)

4. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

wow.... well said :) my thoughts r no where near as coherent...what u said really makes sense to me :) thx

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I hope there is not a spiritual reason for the suffering of depression. Can't God find a less torturous and lower mortality rate method of giving us inner strength and humility. I know "smooth waters don't make good sailors" but this unbearable hell of depression and how much it distorts our insight and drives us to death cannot be based on any spiritual path.

I have no spiritual or supernatural beliefs anyway. :( :(

6. greatmang33

greatmang33 Active Member

There's that saying, "Life is a Journey not a destination,"

I know it may sound corny but I like it.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

^
    I agree. I think it's sad that too many religions stress the next life - I think your religion is how you live this life. As John Burroughs said, "Joy in the Universe, and keen curiosity about it all - That has been my religion"

8. greatmang33

greatmang33 Active Member

I like that quote! When I was a kid life was definetly like that, and im pretty sure for most of us it was, I didn't grow up in an abusive situation, so life was filled with a wonder and awe and it seems over time that has faded away.

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

it never faded for me, and i don't know anything about buddhism zen or mysticism. i don't need this to love being alive. i grew up in a very abusive situation and have been in many, but managed to protect myself very well.

10. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

Yes, I can sympathise with what you are saying. The world does feel like a big empty place. I feel like a small, angry despondent little child who doesn't know where to go or what to do with himself.

One of the reasons I drifted back to this place is because these old nihilistic feelings had flared up again like a particularly stubborn arse rash. The incoherent anger and the hopelessness.

Oh, and kudos to the person who referenced "Alice in Wonderland".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.