Is there a way to watch threads via the phone app?

Desktop/Laptop users can watch a thread by clicking on the "watch" link at the top right-hand corner of the first post of the thread. Apparently, app users don't have that link available.

I think any user can watch a thread by posting on it, but is there a way for app users to watch a thread without posting on it?

No, as far as I know, this is something we can't do using the app.
Wait...I think you can use the SF app to access SF, but can't you also just access SF as a website without the app? Maybe you could watch threads that way, or simply access your account one time via desktop/laptop to watch threads?

KindaOtiose

but can't you also just access SF as a website without the app? Maybe you could watch threads that way
Yes I don't see why not. I used browser developer tools to simulate a mobile device's browser and there is still the option to watch a thread at the top. So yeah, if a mobile user wants to watch a thread they can watch a thread by accessing the website.

KindaOtiose

@may71

It didn't "bump the thread to the top" but, using the same method I used earlier, I un-watched a thread and it disappeared from the "watched threads list" and then I re-watched the thread and it reappeared on the "watched threads list" so I'm pretty sure it works.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I don’t I have a watched thread list on the app. I have a ‘recent’ threads which shows all the latest updated threads but these are all of them not just those I watch. I get notifications on threads that I watch when these are updated on a ‘notifications’ list. So on the app I will see when anyone posts on the cafe and if I put it on my watch list I’ll also get a notification. Don’t know if that helps but I’m sure it will be fine. Don’t know if that helps.

Don’t know if that helps
That helps to know :)

I think you can also visit SF without launching the app at all. If you visit SF just via the browser on your phone, you should be able to access the "watch" button at the top right of the first post on a thread.

You might also be able to visit SF via a desktop/laptop one time, just to access the "watch" button. Then when you use the app, the "watch" setting should still be saved.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I only ever use my phone to access SF as I don't have use of a pc or laptop. I use chrome on my phone. I can click on the watch thread icon so I'll get a notification every time someone posts on it.

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
Yeah, all of those options should work. I don't watch threads because it's too hard to navigate SF on a browser with a screen reader. But watching threads is something I always forgot about even when I could do it. Lol so it's not something I'm missing.

CodeX

Controversial Figure
SF Artist
Yeah, all of those options should work. I don't watch threads because it's too hard to navigate SF on a browser with a screen reader. But watching threads is something I always forgot about even when I could do it. Lol so it's not something I'm missing.
A complicated way might make things easier for screen reader .. Using Firefox with ublock origin .. hiding sections on page you don't want screen reader to read on ublock origin.

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
I'm guessing you mean Firefox on a computer, although it's possible you meant the app on either iOS or Android. That sounds intriguing, but I no longer use a computer, just the iPhone or a Braille Laptop that runs Android.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00