Is there always something you are good at?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Axiom, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I remember being told that everyone has a talent and will find it when they grow up.

So the people who told me this were religious, also know as my entire family. Now I believe that's completely untrue, unless you narrow your depth perception on certain things. Yeah you might be the best artist out of a group of apes, but put that into perspective of the world, you're horrible.

I donno. Perhaps I want to hear some lies right now to cheer me up :) *edit* or perhaps some clarity on my distorted perception on this concept. I still hear it alot now a days, just interested on how you think about it
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  2. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

The concept is not distorted as most parents will tell their children that they are gifted. Its up to you to you to sort out the BS from the reality.

You may not be a prodigy but with hard work probably end up being good at what you like to do. Whos to say?
  3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Some people have incredible natural talents in music, art or athleticism. I recently read an article though about top athletes like American baseball player Derek Jeter who practice and repeat the movements of their craft so much they almost cannot do anything but dominate in their field.
  4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Owhr, I dont mean the definition of something. Just being good at something, exceptional or something along those lines. I get what you're saying, hard work and dedication works out. Does anyone know of anyone whose started out from being absolutly horrible to being pretty decent?
  5. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

I've often heard that everyone has at least one talent. Its my personal belief that its not that each person has one talent but rather each person will find at least one thing that interests them, when someone has an interest in something they become much more receptive to learning the skills.
    I absolutely loathed the education system because it held no interest for me yet i love learning new skills, i have no qualifications yet im a proficient hypnotist, bowyer, ferreter, shooter and falconer. All because they hold an interest for me.
    I am also learner more as we speak and i dont think ill ever stop learning till i'm pushing up daisies
    Noone gets anywhere and has no skill if you dont put the effort in
  6. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

This might sound off, but were you shit at any of those skills when you first started?
  7. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

yep, first 6 bows i made snapped, first person i hypnotised would be classed as really lightly hypnotised compared to what i achieve now. I am a good falconer but i aim on improving more, again, till the day i die. when i started ferreting i was only catching half a dozen rabbits a day and some rabbits were hitting the nets and the nets not closing. i aim to improve on everything i put my mind to and i learn from everything i do.
  8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Sounds like you learn fast. To be honest everything I want to do, im shit at :) And when I mean shit, I mean shit.
    I guess I was assuming, but did you pick it up pretty quickly?
  9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Falconry and ferreting are things ive been learning since i was a kid, ive been doing hypnosis now for approximately 7-8 years and as for making bows ive only been doing that for a year. still a long way to go till i can make bows from knotted yew, at the moment i do board bows, a simpler yet just as good bow. i got interested in it and bought a bow, researched how to make them then put a lot of time into learning how the wood works. Everything takes time but its worth it in the long run. im also looking into studying computer programming atm, i learned how to hack wireless and its now caught my attention.
    The one thing i do wish i could do better is draw, i have so many images in my head but just cant put on paper what i see in my mind....i'll get round to practicing at some point though.
    I do think its worth noting that im bipolar and my manic episodes are of great help in learning things.
  10. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

That's cool that you go for what you want :) Im trying to get to that point, where I want to do something that i will jump on it. Right now it's always just an idea that simply fades into the back till it resurfaces. But I love the notion of just going for it. You've definatly got a wicked set of things. My gf just finished a hypnotherpy course herself actually, which is pretty cool.
    Drawing is something I simply long to do.. so much to be honest. I want something to pour myself into. But I struggle to draw a bloody stick man lol. I donno, I wonder if it is possible for someone who is horrible at something to be able to be decent at it. Cause Everything in life seems so secondary to my need to release some sort of creation on some level.
  11. happyville

happyville Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to discover the Internet - my mother never gave me any 'you'll be gifted in something' speeches. I'm interested in a myriad of things, and can do all of them better than most people I know, but in the grand scheme of things, I am only mediocre at all of these things I can do. I'd like to be awesome at all of them, but it would take practise - like any skill will, in my opinion. It's all about finding something you enjoy doing, and practising at it. My skills are writing, graphic/website design (I love my html), video editing (love to make music videos for fandoms i.e. tv shows, movies, etc), and photography - but I have so much interest in every single one of these things that, with practise in every category, I am still only mediocre. I know if I focused all of my attention on just one, I could be great, but I don't want to do that. Either way, all of these are things I taught myself, all of these are things that I've freelanced for and made money off of. Thanks to the Internet age, you don't suck just because you don't have skills in the arts - if you can't play sports or play an instrument (though instruments can be learned!), you can just as easily figure out graphic design, photography, etc. If I hadn't taken the HTML from websites I admired back when I was 15 and started playing around with it, or if I hadn't taken PSDs* or read tutorials on graphic design - I wouldn't be as good as I am today.

* PSDs are a format you can save graphics as, that still have all of the editing layers on it that colored them/made them look so awesome. A lot of people over on livejournal share PSDs of their own work so people can get a similar look in their graphic and play around with the settings, making it easier for them to learn.
  12. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

Sincerely I'm not trying to come off as arrogant, but I excelled in sports, singing, and something I've recently learned through testing and from well respected members of society my high level reasoning capabilities are quite high. In one sub category during the testing in this I scored in the 99th percentile in matrix reasoning. The other 4 categories I scored two in the mid 80's percentile, 79th percentile and one was low but still average in the 27th percentile. I've also learned I have a gift of discernment and am highly intuitive. The sports and singing have been ever since I was very young, but the latter things I've just learned within this last yr and I'm 40 now. So I'd encourage you not to give up. You just never know what you'll discover (or others will discover or identify for you) later down the road.
  13. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I've always heard this too and I have to say that I don't believe it. But I do know people who seem to be naturally awesome at things. Like acting, drawing, writing and singing and they never really tried. They just have a natural talent. I have yet to find anything I'm great at unless you count animal handling as a talent. I'm just a Jack of all trades, know the basics of a lot but I'm not overly good at any of it.
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Oh yay, another one! Before you know it you'll start counting at zero and find sentences with a misused and/or/if very confusing.

Also hacking WEP wireless is child's play with the right tools, what's more fun I'm sure, and I should actually get around to trying it, is subverting MAC address filtered networks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  15. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Your right WEP cracking is childsplay, especially with backtrack 4, its caught my attention though and i now want to know everything i can on how the programs are made and how they work.
  16. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Im good at arguing, Im good at getting the last word in every time.

Oh you mean something positive,

I can bend the top part of my finger while keeping the other parts straight. Does that count? I can do it with all my fingers, lol.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.