1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there an alternative to the Samaritans in the UK?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Shogun, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I hate having to ring them up and endure endless and prolonged silences. I know that they're just trained to listen, but it's not very helpful for me. I need someone that's actually gonna talk, ask me what my problems are, advise me and suggest things. Even if it's not all that helpful advice, I just need to be spoken to as a human being. I'm just extremely shy over the phone and can't start conversations very well, which makes ringing the Samaritans a pointless task.

So, does anyone know of any alternatives to the Samaritans?

PS - I know the Samaritans are a very helpful and worthwhile service for some people and I admire what they do immensely, they're great people. I just wanted to clarify that.

2. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

hi shogun

I see you are in London there is a place called Maytree its a great place been there myself, its free to stay and does not have anything to do with the medical profession so is a total sanctuary.
    go on line and type Maytree into search engine it comes up as a retreat for suicidal people its worth a visit - wish i could go with you

If you need to know anymore about it pm me hun - good luck

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Thank you, I really appreciate it. :)

Is it possible to phone them and talk to someone by phone? Sorta like a Samaritan kinda deal, but with people that talk back at me?

4. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

yes hun you can http://www.maytree.org.uk/

Telephone 020 7263 7070

they are there 24 hours a day so call anytime goodluck i reallyrecommend a visist they are lovely people

5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Well, with Samaritans, they're there to simply listen, not give advice, unfortunately. I don't think that's confined to just Samaritans either though - I'd imagine it's hard to give advice over the phone, because the odds are that you've probably tried what they're gonna suggest for you to do - hence why you're ringing them in the first place - you need someone to talk to, when you're at your wits end..
    There's also e-mail for Samaritans too, but I don't know how helpful that'd be for you - but if you're shy over the phone, then maybe it's worth having a go at?

As Patience said though - Maytree would be good if you're up for that sort of thing :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.