Is there an alternative to the Samaritans in the UK?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Shogun, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I hate having to ring them up and endure endless and prolonged silences. I know that they're just trained to listen, but it's not very helpful for me. I need someone that's actually gonna talk, ask me what my problems are, advise me and suggest things. Even if it's not all that helpful advice, I just need to be spoken to as a human being. I'm just extremely shy over the phone and can't start conversations very well, which makes ringing the Samaritans a pointless task.

So, does anyone know of any alternatives to the Samaritans?

PS - I know the Samaritans are a very helpful and worthwhile service for some people and I admire what they do immensely, they're great people. I just wanted to clarify that.
  2. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

hi shogun

I see you are in London there is a place called Maytree its a great place been there myself, its free to stay and does not have anything to do with the medical profession so is a total sanctuary.
    go on line and type Maytree into search engine it comes up as a retreat for suicidal people its worth a visit - wish i could go with you

If you need to know anymore about it pm me hun - good luck
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Thank you, I really appreciate it. :)

Is it possible to phone them and talk to someone by phone? Sorta like a Samaritan kinda deal, but with people that talk back at me?
  4. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

yes hun you can

Telephone 020 7263 7070

they are there 24 hours a day so call anytime goodluck i reallyrecommend a visist they are lovely people
  5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Well, with Samaritans, they're there to simply listen, not give advice, unfortunately. I don't think that's confined to just Samaritans either though - I'd imagine it's hard to give advice over the phone, because the odds are that you've probably tried what they're gonna suggest for you to do - hence why you're ringing them in the first place - you need someone to talk to, when you're at your wits end..
    There's also e-mail for Samaritans too, but I don't know how helpful that'd be for you - but if you're shy over the phone, then maybe it's worth having a go at?

As Patience said though - Maytree would be good if you're up for that sort of thing :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.