is there any other way?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by triggs, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triggs

triggs Account Closed

you guys are great and very helpful
    but i just can't do this alone.
    i've tried going to the doctors to try and see a therapist
    but every time i go, i chicken out.
    i'm so pathetic, i know, but i just hate people knowing i'm not okay.
    i know i need to be able to tell a therapist this
    and i reckon i would be able to if i got to know them a little first
    but my doctor - he's known me since i was born
    i don't feel comfortable talking to him about it.
    is there any other way i can do this?
    it's getting harder
    and i don't know if i'd last much longer on my own.
    i promised my best friend i wouldn't kill myself
    but it's just such a hard promise to keep :cry:
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Sometimes it is easier if you practice the conversation with someone, like role playing, and have notes so you can make sure you say what you want to...hope this works of luck, J
  3. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

what about writing it all down .. how ur feeling - how u would like 2 see a therapist..
    then hand ur doctor the paper? its what i did .. :) mabye ask ur best friend 2 go with u ?
    ur so supportive of ppl here triggs..ur a wonderful person .. i hope u do manage 2 get some support through ur doctor..
    :hug: x
  4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Is it possible to see another Dr in your practice? And take your friend with you. Once you're in the room it's easy to forget or dismiss what you wanted to say, that's why having a friend with you or writing stuff down before you go can help.

Big hugs honey.

:hug: xx
  5. triggs

triggs Account Closed

thankyou guys
    i might write stuff down, that'd be a bit easier i guess
    i might see if i can see the other doctor, but i've always had my one, i'm not sure if i can.
    thankyou though :unsure: i just need to get some courage
    my friend isn't coming home til the 26th though, so i think i should probably do something before then
  6. ~Claire

You should be able to request an appt with any Dr in your practice hun. Try getting an appt 1st thing in the morning or last thing at night, most surgeries are open 8-6 & they tend to be quieter at the beginning or end of the day.

If you can't wait till your friend gets home then try writing stuff down, it really can help.

I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but can you make an appt with your practice nurse if you have one? Sometimes it's easier to talk to them & they can perhaps get the ball rolling for you with regards to seeing the GP & what to say.

7. triggs

triggs Account Closed

thankyou claire :)
    i guess it can't hurt trying one more time
    it's just actually getting there and having someone know every detail about me and what's goin through my head... :dunno: maybe therapy isn't such a great idea :/
  8. ~Claire

Stay strong hun, make the appt.

I know how daunting it is, even now it takes me weeks just to be able to pick up the phone & make an appt. I won't lie, the anxiety in the waiting room can be hell, that knot in my stomach does not go away & many times I used to try & think of random illnesses just so I wouldn't have to talk about how I was really feeling.

It's not much help I know, but anticipating the appt & the actual build up can be a lot worse than the appt itself. Most Dr's know what questions to ask & can put you at ease.

As for the therapy, one step at a time hun. Concentrate on the Dr's appt first, then we can think about therapy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.