Is there any point in even doing this?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by sadhart, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

So, since april 15th, I've been in a recovery house. And since march 10th, I have not touched any alcohol. I would like to say that I feel good about this, but there are times I don't and I just feel like saying fuck it all. Last night, this guy who has nearly completed this recovery program got kicked out for using. Earlier that night, he shared in a meeting about how he was getting closer to God and stuff like that. He always shared in meetings and told people to turn to their sponsor or to others in the program no matter what. I'm not mad at him or anything...he's human. And I know that his relapse has nothing to do with my recovery or sobriety. But right now in my own life, all I feel day in and day out is that I am just maintaining and I don't know how much longer I can keep doing that. Sorry for rambling and being vague, but it's just been a frustrating couple of hours for me.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just want to say congratulations on your sobriety It is very hard for sure and i do hope that you continue on this path stay strong ok hugs

3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I understand that when you see someone else relapse, part of you wonders if thats always what's going to happen to you too no matter how hard you try. And when you think about that, you also think what the fuck is the point in even trying then? Truth is, it could happen to anyone, even if they're 40 years clean. But you cant think about what might or might not happen in the future. If I had to constantly entertain the thought of "From this day forward, I can never ever do drugs again in my life", I'd probably be more likely to relapse because honestly that's a very hard concept to accept. What you should be thinking instead is just that you're not going to do drugs today, that's more important than thinking about the future when it comes to addiction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.