Is There Any Point In Living...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by NeverHappy, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeverHappy

NeverHappy Well-Known Member

If you are only capable of feeling anguish and misery. I've never felt real happiness regardless of my circumstances, so logically I must conclude that I'm incapable of feeling positive emotions.

Is there any reason for such a person to continue living, in your opinion? Please don't ask me about my problems or try to comfort me - I'm not asking for that. I just want you to answer the question at hand in an an honest manner. Is there a point?
  2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Have you sought HELP? Ever reached out?

Otherwise, the philosophical answer existentially would be , "no." We must want the life we have been given--we must want to live. No one else can really instill that, and the point of life would be what you decided is. This is called ultimate freedom.

if you are clinically depressed, however... gotta reach out brother.
  3. NeverHappy

Yes, I have sought help, from people as well as anti-depressants. Neither has done fuck all for me. Hell, the former have just made me feel worse.

The worst part of it all is I can't even pin-point what created this monster. Yeah, I've had a horrible life, but so have plenty of other people and they haven't turned out the way I have. I have alot of things going for me now but I feel no better for it.

I just want to die.
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Well in my case it is yes for now. I have my daughter and gradaughter living with me. I can't very well do anything while they are here. I don't want them to be around when it happens. Life Sucks Big Ones!!!
  5. NeverHappy

Ah, yes, but I have no friends or family, or even pets. Nodody relies on me for anything. My life literally means absolutely nothing and no one gives a toss whether I live or die.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You need to get a pet! My therapist told me to get one. I was skeptical at first. I got my pup back in February. It took about a month and he grew on me. He knows when I am down because I just lay in bed just totally detached from my thoughts. He will jump up on my bed and lay next to me. Eventually I will start petting him, and slowly come out of the depression at the moment. If you have a friend who has a dog ask if you can borrow him/her for a week and give it a test trial. Because of him I have started to feel something where there hasn't been anything for quite a while. Just think about it. You will have someone to love and will get unconditional love in return!! Take Care!!:chopper:!!
  7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

if it werent for my old cat I'd be long gone
  8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've never felt real happiness for any reason either.
    One reason I continue is because I believe that some day I will experience relief. Somehow, maybe from something someone says at the right time, meeting a person that changes my perspective. Or even slowly working at it over time.
    You say you've never felt true happiness. Imagine when that day comes. Imagine if five years from now you experience actual happiness, how amazing that would be. Having never experienced it, why give up before you get that opportunity. It's worth sticking around for.
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

There is a point to going on living. You need to continue to search for it until you find it. You say you have had a bad life but know others who have too and are okay. Well, each of us react to things in our own way. Just because they seem okay doesn't mean they are or that you should compare yourself to them. Find something that can bring you happiness. I am wondering what you are looking for in that. I don't know anyone that has complete happiness.
  10. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I will survive this and something will give. Likely the right AD or combo or a pet, but this will not be the end of me, just one long ass bump in the road--like those speed strips they have to slow you.

And to the OP, man seriously you're asking a rhetorical, almost exisistential quesion to which there is no ultimate answer unless you're religious--and I'm not either. The answer lies within you.

I am sorry you're a miserable soul--I cannot fix that. But I can answer your question.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  11. free_your_mind

free_your_mind Active Member

i feel like that too.
  12. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

perhaps we have to create our 'point' in living, every one has there own answers based upon their past experiences or religious beliefs or defining moments. Even if 'someone' provided the 'answer' would we accept it. as someone else said, the answer lies within.
  13. NeverHappy

Pointless response. I told you that I don't seek your advice or pity - I wanted a simple yes or no answer to the question.

Consider responding with a post relevant to the topic at hand, then perhaps you may live up to your username.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.