Is there anyone there?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Gribble, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gribble

Gribble Member

I am a 66 year old ex Navy man who is very isolated and alone. I live in a very rich town (Tunbridge Wells) where the default emotional setting is devil take the hindmost combined with selfishness and arrogant greed.

There is no friendship here, no mercy or charity to others, the worst ones for this here are the Christians, they are truly dreadful people. I am a believer and do not find that there is anything like christian charity or kindness anywhere in this town, It is driving me crazy bit by bit.

I have been there for others all my life, I like helping people, especially people on the margins of life. Druggies, the homeless and the mad, I helped them out a lot. I have been mentally ill most of my life and am now free of it, but there is no one at all to befriend or even go out and do nice things with. Everyone here plays idiot status games and have great problems with weakness of any sort.

I have tried talking to my GP and the local mental health team until I am blue in the face that I need some sort of support but they don't do anything at all. They are not caring people at all, something i have found is very common in the NHS.

All I really want is a couple of good freinds to talk to and maybe do things with, but there is no one here like that at all. I don't have a family, they deserted me in the 1970's and left me to go insane. All I can think of is <Mod Edit, WildCherry: Methods>.

I cannot see what else I can do.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Soi

Soi New Member

I genuinely like to help and serve other's too. I know how it feels when you give your heart out, but there are times when it would be nice to be the one receiving the help for a change. My community is very small and poor. Most people here would befriend you just to see what they can get from you. Poverty is no excuse for people's behaviors, but it does tend to bring out the animal in some. I suppose the same could be said for the rich as well. The neighbor is nice, but at times he does favors only to get sour and expect the favor returned, which is not how charitable favors should work.

It sounds like you need a new group of people, if that is at all possible. I'm sure you know this, and I know from experience that it's not always so simple to just go out and drop yourself before a new set of individuals.

I'm curious if your Navy days were happy and fulfilling? I tried to join the marines when I was 18, but they rejected me due to mental health issues. I'd imagine that even in the worst war, being apart of a brotherhood is a very satisfying feeling. I guess belonging to a consistently supportive group of people is mostly what life is about. Family can easily be that false sense of companionship, love, and loyalty. Most people seem obsessed with family, but from my experience they can be your toxic enemy just the same. Blood may be thicker than water, but the heart is what matters most.
  3. Bart

Bart Banned Member

Have you though about perhaps paying your local royal British legion a visit?

They welcome ex service personnel with open arms and there would likely be others of your own age there.

Forget the fly paper. It'll make the coffee taste really foul.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Talk to veterans affairs talk to them get the support and help you deserve ok You served your country now it is time to get some of that help back
    Yes visit legion there will be many like yourself willing to talk and be friends with you
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Just wanted to post a hello, and welcome you to the forum. I know little to nothing about your area so have no idea what to suggest. But if it would help to have friends you can talk to online, feel free to PM me anytime. I hope you continue reaching out here; over the past several years, I've found this site to be a way to make long-lasting friendships.
  6. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Your life is important and remember that. You need to take the suggestion stated by the others. I hope you keep posting for support you need.
  7. Gribble

Gribble Member

I would like to a legion here but the nearest one is 20 miles away in maidstone. I have no transport.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.