is there really life after death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
or what happens to you when you die..

i strongly believe there is another world, where you come back to earth and float around in spirit form (not sure why i've just always believed that!)

so what are your thoughts

tweetypie

Antiquities Friend
my gran was "psychic" and so was my grandma my gran believed that there was a spiritual relm and my grandma believed in jesus. My mother was raised catholic and she believed in heaven and hell. After she died i couldnt believe there was anything after death because she would have come back to tell me. Even though i know this is silly i cant help it. I would really really love to believe there is another life after this one (as long as its good) but i dont know if i do. Excellent thread masked :D xx

nolonger

it really depends on wat you want to think.

i have this spaz idea that life is a like a nightmare and when we die, we wake up. but thats probly because that gives me more of a drive to die than to live.

jota1

Your atoms float! im not sure anything else does.

I would like to believe there is something else, it gives us hope and peace of mind but I have very serious doubts about the existence of an afterlife.

Maybe the "soul" is just the imprint of some kind of existence on the atoms we leave behind. Have no idea if that is even possible

Last edited by a moderator:
my gran was "psychic" and so was my grandma my gran believed that there was a spiritual relm and my grandma believed in jesus. My mother was raised catholic and she believed in heaven and hell. After she died i couldnt believe there was anything after death because she would have come back to tell me. Even though i know this is silly i cant help it. I would really really love to believe there is another life after this one (as long as its good) but i dont know if i do. Excellent thread masked :D xx

thanks for the vote of confidence:)

bhawk

I'm immortal....

So far so good on that :biggrin:

Well as for an afterlife, i do past life regressions through hypnosis on people quite often yet i still find myself a sceptic. (often finding myself thinking with some sort of jungian collective unconscious as a reason)

mainly because i hate the thought of thinking for an eternity.... only 24 years of it has already driven me crazy!

In my line of work i am constantly surrounded by death, often caused by me.
I cannot grasp any sense or reason as to why any animal i kill or any human that dies would have any form of an afterlife. It sounds absurd to me and i cannot see why people would believe in such a thing, its like someone asserting that their organs are made of swiss cheese, theres the same amount of evidence for both.

But i suppose it doesnt hurt everyone to think there is an afterlife, in some ways im actually jealous of the deeply religious people, people who after a disaster or a death of a loved one can console themselves by saying "it was part of god/allah/yahweh's plan"

Well folks, theres only one way to find out, so go have fun till your time comes

Mystic

According to some of the nutters in the US, we are all going to find out very, very soon.

You basic question may be answered at 18:00 EST May 21st.

(There again, it may not) :tongue:

Growing Pains

I consider myself an atheist, but where it concerns what happens after death... I admit, I have some rather... "agnostic" thoughts. In that, I admit, I just don't know. Sometimes, I believe there's nothing and then other times I wonder if life is nothing but one repetitive thing that goes on and on, and thus we do, too and just don't recall it. (I realize that probably didn't make a lick of sense.) Either way, I don't believe in an afterlife in the sense that most religions do and I wouldn't say I believe in "reincarnation", per se. I believe that we just are not capable of knowing what happens after we die. Because no one has lived to tell the tale. ;]

Phteven

Come on! it should be obvious to everyone! of course there is life after death, in what capacity or form though I know not.
I don't know how it is obvious if even you can't figure out what form it takes but anyways, anyone who claims to know what happens after we die is just making a guess in my opinion, there are certain things we might never gain knowledge of and i think life after death is one of those things. I do think though, its highly unlikely there could be a life after death and there is no evidence, convincing enough for me, that there is a life after death.

Stripe

Maybe going slightly off topic here but Im not sure if I want there to be a life after death. An endless sea of black where I dont think and therefore exist sounds pretty cool with me. I mean, sure, life is entertaining in its own quaint way but I think 70 years of thinking and being aware of myself and of others around me is enough for me. My "soul" having to spend "eternity" aware in an afterlife sounds kinda sucky.

That being said, worrying about weather I will end up going to a heaven or a hell is a worry I am happy enough to let go of for the time being.

Aaron

Maybe going slightly off topic here but Im not sure if I want there to be a life after death. An endless sea of black where I dont think and therefore exist sounds pretty cool with me. I mean, sure, life is entertaining in its own quaint way but I think 70 years of thinking and being aware of myself and of others around me is enough for me. My "soul" having to spend "eternity" aware in an afterlife sounds kinda sucky.

That being said, worrying about weather I will end up going to a heaven or a hell is a worry I am happy enough to let go of for the time being.
How would you be aware of an endless sea of black if you didn't think you exist in some form?

zzz

There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that anyone has ever died.

And you will never be able to show me any proof because it doesn’t exist.

The physical body is not a living thing, that’s a complete illusion, a mind-bogglingly clever one but nevertheless an illusion.

If you cut your boyfriends/girlfriends leg off, would you then jump into bed with it and caress it and say nice things to it, probably not.

Ah, but I’m my brain (my implies ownership, I have one. Who has one?)

So cut off their head and jump into bed with that.

There is absolutely no comparison between a body with you in it and the same body with you not in it.

So haven’t you ever seen a cemetery?

Yes I have, but so what.

Where is your body that was here ten minutes ago? It’s doesn’t exist, it’s gone, finished, dead.

Where is the body that was here one second ago? It’s doesn’t exist, it’s gone, finished dead.

So how many times have you died in the last ten minutes?

None.

The body has died many deaths but you are still here.

But I can’t stand it here on this earth.

Me neither, but that’s because we’re in a faulty material consciousness, thinking that we are something that we are not.

For all intense and purposes we are in fact the living dead.

Zombies we are.

Axiom

Account Closed
There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that anyone has ever died.

And you will never be able to show me any proof because it doesn’t exist.

The physical body is not a living thing, that’s a complete illusion, a mind-bogglingly clever one but nevertheless an illusion.

If you cut your boyfriends/girlfriends leg off, would you then jump into bed with it and caress it and say nice things to it, probably not.

Ah, but I’m my brain (my implies ownership, I have one. Who has one?)

So cut off their head and jump into bed with that.

There is absolutely no comparison between a body with you in it and the same body with you not in it.

So haven’t you ever seen a cemetery?

Yes I have, but so what.

Where is your body that was here ten minutes ago? It’s doesn’t exist, it’s gone, finished, dead.

Where is the body that was here one second ago? It’s doesn’t exist, it’s gone, finished dead.

So how many times have you died in the last ten minutes?

None.

The body has died many deaths but you are still here.

But I can’t stand it here on this earth.

Me neither, but that’s because we’re in a faulty material consciousness, thinking that we are something that we are not.

For all intense and purposes we are in fact the living dead.

Zombies we are.
Well... For me, it's a network that has central aspects that function as a whole. Severing a limb isn't exactly a valid example in my opinon because the limb is an extension of that network/system, but not a vital component of it's overall design. Yea, our cells are constantly breaking down and being "born" a new, but this is a process of passing information on and on. But this information that comprises who we are only comes together as who we are in the physcial and mental aspect because all the main structural network systems are connected together. To me it's a matter of spiritual vs physical. Physically, we can easily die and cease to exist because the structure that creates us can fall apart.
Spiritually? idk. Never been dead so I couldnt tell you :)

To each our own though :)

Illusion

My opinion is that nobody knows. We just guess what we think & secretly hope thats it. I'm Agnostic so I'm open minded about death. I don't really have an answer I go by. I'll just see what happens when it happens & hope its nothing bad. Boy would I love to know for sure though! :unsure:

However.. The past few months I've started to strongly believe in Reincarnation. Like life is a game that never ends. I don't like that cause I don't like the idea of forgetting my life & loved ones & starting all over but its just that strange feeling in me that I can't explain. I'm also starting to become quite interested in Buddhism by what I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00