is this a good diet?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by coffeekitten, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffeekitten

coffeekitten Active Member

I know this is probably not the right forum to write on, but the people are nice here, and i don't want people to just laugh at me and call me a fatty like they do on yahoo answers ect.

well i tried going on a 1400 cal diet and burnt 700 cals at the gym 4 times a week, for 2 months, but i lost no weight atall, so now i'm gonna eat one bowl of cereal for breakfast and one for lunch and a lettus salad for dinner, and burn about 1000 cals at the gym. do you think i will lose weight with this diet? and how much per week?

thank you.

oh and i'm sure alot of people think i'm stupid and wasting time on here for being depressed about my weight, but it's so much more than that. i also have no freinds, my family barely talk to me and i have serveral mental disorders and chronic pain.

2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Oh come on now you're not even trying.

Just a simple scroll down the page would've shown you the healthy eating active living section.

3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

The more active you are the more you can eat. Starting out at that and being active will give you quick results, but I do suggest just sticking with the normal amount of calories as everyone else. I think it is 2400 a day or so. Do not quote me. Just eat smaller portions, and drink lots of water. Water makes the skin shrink back to where it belongs after you lose the weight. Up the vegies and eat meat the size of you palm. Snack between meals [healthy], and do not eat anything 4-6 hours before you go to bed. This will help a lot and give you great results! Keep up the workout, but get into it slowly and do not over do it. Other wise your sore muscles will hinder your efforts. Blessings.. I am here if you need to PM someone friend! ~Nikki~

4. moko

moko Active Member

As a former kinesiologist, I recommend that you consult a registered dietician about your diet and weight loss goals. There's a lot of harmful diets out there, especially on the web and it's easy to fall in an unhealthy lifestyle.

To be able to lose weight, you have to eat! If you reduce your calorie intake too fast and too much, your body will slow down its metabolism, making you spend less energy.
    Add intense exercise to that and you will lead your body to muscle wasting, the opposite of what you want (fat burning).

I am not a dietician therefore I can only suggest you to follow the american food guide (if it exists) or the canadian food guide (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php) which will guide you in portion sizes and the number of daily portions of specific food groups needed to be healthy. As for calories, a dietician will be able to measure your basal metabolic rate (the minimal amount of calories needed to be physically functional) and establish your daily calorie intake because it's not 2000 for all.
    2000 cal/day is a generic number but generally, depending on the amount of exercise that you do, you will need to consume between 1500 and 3000 calories a day.
    The healthiest way to lose weight is to create a 500 calorie deficit a day, either by exercising, diet or both. Generally, it can be harmful to over-exercise unless you are a professional athlete and guided by professionals. You should stick to less then 2h of intense exercise a day and allow yourself a minimum of 1 day of rest in between 2 hard workouts. If you don't allow your body to rest, you are going to be at high risk of injury and physical exhaustion, leading to chronic physical and mental fatigue.

PM me if you have any other questions

5. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Let me ask you this, how much body fat do you have hun? You can only really lose that much weight. You can find body fat calculators online. Do NOT use your BMI that is a pretty off system.

As for your diet, you need to eat less more often hun. Your eating schedule shows you eating 3 times a day. Any health professional will tell you that will keep your metabolism up. The problem with eating 3 times a day is that your body stores the energy, to be sure It will have enough to burn. However if you keep putting food in your stomach your body has no reason to store the food. Finally do not eat carbs after 15:00. I believe your body just stores the carbs as fat after that. Do not eat right before you go to bed either.

Next for your workouts, are you lifting weights? Cardio is great to do, however, you need to lift weights too. If you build muscle you will burn more calories. So Starr lifting weights hun. After going to the gym and seeing both skin and bones females and some what muscular females. I can say that females with muscle are definitely more attractive.

All this being said, you are going to lose the weight slowly. You should drop Only around 1 to 2 lbs a week. Also do not get obsessed with weight hun. That will make this even harder. Good luck, I am not a trainer or anything but I have done a lot of research and have a personal trainer. So I will do my best to answer your questions.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

What works for me is a well balanced diet, with proteins, carbs and friuts and vegetables. I eat large amounts of food, but I try not to eat high fat or high sugar food, because they will cause you to gain weight. The real problem is foods with refined carbohydrates like white bread, white pasta and high fructose corn syrup. They have a high glycemic index and no fiber. Good carbs like fruits and vegies have fiber so their sugars don't get absorbed into the bloodstream quickly. You need to increase your basal metabolic rate so get lots of aerobic exercise and moderate strength training should help. :smile:

7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

How much do you weigh now? If you are beginning to fall into anorexia, seek help before it gets worse.

8. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

seconded, what is your weight? id be glad to give you a hand.

9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

It's not just about how many calories you eat, it's about what you eat. And right now, you're basically eating 10 teaspoons of sugar for breakfast, ten teaspoons of sugar for lunch, and rabbit food for dinner. That's not nutritious. Try eating eggs with grapefruit for breakfast, a good tuna salad for lunch with whole wheat bread and some grapes or any fruit, and whole wheat pasta with a fine marinara sauce with herbs and full salad for dinner. And in between all those meals you should try eating fresh fruits like an apple, or maybe some carrots in a tablespoon of ranch dressing mmmm, right?

Drink as much water as possible, but you can also drink pure fruit juices, that means drink only druit juice that is 100% fruit, and *not* high fructose corn syrup. You can also eat some high-protein snack bars, they have no high fructose corn syrup, negligible sugar and calories, and real fruits and nuts, and they taste really really good.

A car needs gas to go, right? Your body uses food for fuel, so your metabolism is going to be stationary unless you give yourself fuel, and it has to be the right fuel. Don't completely deprive yourself of sweets either. Fruits are very sweet and the right kind of sugars, and also have some dark chocolate every once in a while if you want. Blueberries are great party-poppers!

10. moko

moko Active Member

Like, it's nice that you're all trying to help out with advice but I think it would be best to simply advise to consult a professional (dieticien, certified personal trainer, exercise speicalist etc.) instead of spreading misconceptions.

Forgotten_man> It's true that it's safe to drop 1-2 lbs a week max and it's better to eat several small meals in a day including snacks. However, I'm not too sure about the carbs after 3pm thing. The body has a diurnal clock that works according to hormone levels but insulin and glucagon respond mostly to blood suger levels. Therefore, carbs can be consumed anytime of day since they are slow-breaking sugers that will keep the blood suger levels steady. It is only when there is too much blood sugers that it is stored under the form of glycogen in muscle and metabolised in the form of fat if the blood suger levels are steadily elevated.

Also, weight lifting requires a baseline and technique as you know, and starting too fast and too heavy can be very damaging for the back and knees, expecially if the person's weight is heavy. I would recommend that coffeekitten start with weightless or bodyweight exercices with the help of a trainer/kinesiologist before getting into the dumbells and machines if she isn't accustomed to weight training. However, cardio exercises burn more calories then strenght training in a 30mins period so if weight loss is the main goal, the emphasis should be put more on cardio, fallowed with strenght training and flexibility stretches

11. Mikeintx

Who says im not qualified?

12. moko

moko Active Member

I'm not saying anything about your qualifications! Heck, I've got a B.Sc. Kin and a M.Sc. PT under my belt, but that doesn't entitle me to say specific advice or to do any treatments here! I merely recommend to be seen by a pro and state the correct facts, with references as often as I can. Even if you are qualified, you are not supposed to give specific treatment or advice here as a professional unless you are able to make a full evaluation of the person first. Failure to do can make more harm then good. That was my point about misconceptions

13. Mikeintx

You can't give diet recommendation via written word? I may not be able to show her how to squat properly through SF but I am pretty sure i can write out how many grams of proteins, etc she should eat each day after she consults her doctor.

Also a lot of people can't afford to go to a professional for this type of thing.

14. UnkelHeit

UnkelHeit Well-Known Member

A forum buddy huh?

15. moko

moko Active Member

I'l re-state what I said: You may legally only give out specific professional advice after a thorough history and full evaluation.
    I am fully aware that professional help costs a lot because I work in the business... However, even if most can't afford it, they have the right to be protected from potentially harmful practices.
    If you are not a registered dieticien or do not have any degree in nutrition, you shouldn't be giving any diet recommendations. Making a diet recommendation is more then giving a number for protein, fat and all the vitamins out there. It's looking at the person's health hx, lifestyle, budget, eating patterns, allergens, foods that spike blood glucose levels and cognitive factors. Unfortunately, this is hard to do on this kind of forum. But heck, if she wants your advice and you give it to her, just make sure you do a follow-up

16. Mikeintx

17. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

A forum buddy is for new members, and no one ever said I had to sugarcoat things. ;)

Anyway, if you want to bitch at me take it to pm and keep it out of the thread.

18. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

@moko: I am glad to know there is a person who knows the science on this thread.

I was just passing along advice I had been given by my previous personal trainers, all 3 of them. In the end it is Only generic advice. In the end though yes in order to build a proper diet to achieve the goals she wants she is going to have to get professional help. Or do the research herself.

19. coffeekitten

coffeekitten Active Member

hey thanks for the tips everyone. I was feeling kinda down and desperate that day, i guess i know that is not really much food or energy. I am 155lb right now for those who wanted to know. I'm about 14lb overweight. I know it;s not that much, but having had anorexia in the past, it is very hard for me to deal with, even being a bit overweight.

I'm thinking of trying more protein and maybe less carbs. I like eggs and meat and fish. I try to do low sugar too.

thanks for the kind words though, it gets so frustrating at times i wanna rip my fat off my body. grrr

20. moko

moko Active Member

If this can make you feel better, I'm 5'1'' and 145 lbs. I've got meat on my bones, size 10pants but I feel healthy! Sure, I'm like 20lbs over my ideal weight but I'm still in a healthy weight.
    14 lbs can be managed quite well in a healthy way in 7-10 weeks. Just keep being fit and eat well with reasonable portions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.