Is this a symptom?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Things, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I know that sleeplessness (or over-sleeping) are symptoms of depression. Is hating sleep part of it too?

I hate sleep, I really do. I feel like I haven't done anything in the day, and I feel like sleeping is somehow giving up (stupid I know). I hate seeing tomorrow, I hate seeing time pass. I don't care about my dreams much, at least not anymore. They're not an escape for me, they never really have been even when I liked them. They're just confusing if they're not depressing or terrifying. I've been known to stay awake for about twenty hours very often, sometimes staying awake for multiple days straight (my record was three to four days, don't know which).

I can go to sleep fairly easily and quickly (probably because I fight it off for so long that I can barely function anymore), that isn't the problem. I just hate sleep. This can't be healthy.

I guess the main reason I'm posting is, it makes me feel better to type my thoughts out. Still, I'd like to know where this is coming from. Am I becoming somniphobic?
  2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Most people suffering depression cherish their sleep because it is the best escape from it's pain. Maybe you feel sleep is a waste of time? It seems a shame to me that a person has to just be a snoring lump for 1/3 of their lifespan- couldn't we sleep two hours and meditate six a day?
  3. Things

Things Well-Known Member

Heh, I don't have the attention span to meditate. But yeah, I agree. I don't like spending so many hours of my life doing...nothing.

I do that enough when I'm awake. :B
  4. risenrose

risenrose New Member

Hm I can understand your feelings a little bit. I also don't like sleeping, because when I sleep, I feel as if I've lost time on something that I could have done that was important to me.
  5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

It's the same here. I'm constantly fighting sleep in order to raise productivity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.