Is this abuse?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by dnE ehT, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

I currently take ambien to help with my insomnia. I have built up quite a tolerance to it, but taking twice the dosage seems to get around this problem.

It also seems to make me feel REAL good, as in euphoric. In fact, I just took 2pills 15 minutes ago and am begining to feel the effects now as of this posting. :stars:

So, is this a bad thing???:unsure:

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

taking the wrong dosage of meds is never good......
    please check with your doctor if he think the extra pills are ok for you to take.....

3. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

What are you going to do if your tolerance goes up even more?

4. dnE ehT

Honeslty I don't really know.

I don't feel like I NEED it, but I haven't been off the stuff for more than a day since I started taking it, so who knows what'll happen...:blink:

5. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

how long have you been taking it?

I've quadrupled my dosage of ativan since being on it... i use it almost always to calm down for bed, and now if i don't take it, i can't sleep at ALL, and the feeling of being all twitchy and half-sleep all night is torture.

i would advise you against what both our brains finds chemically appealing about these medications... building a tolerance is very bad, because it can escalate to the point you don't have enough, you have conflicts with the doctor, and it turns into a long-term substitute for regular sleep.

if I were you (I had a close friend addicted to ambien who I should have given this advice to) I would tell the doctor it's not working at the old dose. It will be way better for you in the long run if you're honest with him. with my old doctor, he was always checking to make sure it was used properly, now i'm with cheapo insurance and guess what? they accidentally doubled my dose, and then all i had to do was ask, and they doubled it again. so i'm completely addicted. hahaha i totally just ranted in your post. hopefully one or two things i said will be a little bit useful

6. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

I used to take some medication for lack of sleep, I remember there being a distinct effect that lasted a certain period of time after taking the pills. If I hadn't fallen asleep during this period of time, I would not sleep at all. After discovering this, it got worse, because I would actually stay awake worrying that I would not fall asleep during the effect of the medication heh, sounds silly when I think about it.

Taking too much medication than has been prescribed really is a bad idea, and If you are taking it for recreational purposes then yes you are abuse it! Especially if you add dancing smiley faces with sparkles!

Of course it is a bad thing, you don't know what damage those pills are doing to your body or your brain.

You should really go talk to your doctor if the medication you have been given isn't working anymore.

7. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Ambien is infamous for having unusual side effects, especially when combined with street drugs/booze. One of the Kennedys got busted for DUI and said he had amnesia from taking Ambien. Tiger Woods used Ambien for...other purposes. It's really a bizarre drug. More psychoactive than other sedatives. I believe it is less addictive than most, but you can probably be the judge of that.

Long story short...watch out for unintended effects...

8. dnE ehT

Well I'm still taking the 2 pills now. The only time I'd say that it was for recreational purposes was when I wasn't planning on sleeping soon after.

Taking 2 doesn't make me sleepy at all, but it makes me numb and happy, which helps with sleeping.

My tolerance has increased since I created this thread, but I still don't feel the need to have it.

I might try just using my melatonin for a while to see if there are any withdrawal effects.

As for memory troubles, I had this when I first started taking it (I even told my doctor, but she seemed puzzled by this), but now I'm not really noticing any side effects.

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I've heard that ambien can make you have hallucinations and can even cause sleep disorders like sleepwalking or even 'sexomnia.' I don't think it's a good idea to be taking too much ambien long term. Melatonin is great for helping a person sleep without negative side effects.

10. monnie101

monnie101 Member

I'm an insmoniac. I barely can ever sleep at night. I used to get Ambien but then I switched doctors and noticed that now many doctors won't prescribe it. They'd give me high doses of other sleeping pills that just made me tired and then the next day I'd be tired the whole day.

I finally got tired of taken so many pills for everything that I trimmed down to only the basic needs. 300mg of Effexor the AntiDepressants which is a must have for me, and my painkiller for my Fibromyalgia. It stinks but I just accept my insomnia. I download and listen to audio books at night on my iPhone. Which helps me a lot. Sometimes I'll watch Tales of the Darkside on it, using the YouTube app.

Might not help much but it's a little suggestion. The human body tends to get a tolerance to some drugs fast, then you gotta take more and more, you find yourself running out of medication early then freaking out, been there done that. It does sound as if your opening the door to abusing Ambien. As a former addict, I'd advise you to not get used to this pattern and stay away from illegal drugs especially opiates. I say that because it sounds like you could be an addict just waiting to help and believe me you don't want to go through that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.