is this an anxiety attack?

right now I'm very worried about something and I'm probably overthinking, but it's more than just that. my head feels fuzzy and kinda hurts, I feel like I can't focus on anything and nothing feels real almost, I feel very overwhelmed and almost physically suffocated and weighed down, I can't stop my thoughts and thinking the worst, my heart's beating pretty fast, I kinda feel claustrophobic but not literally (I dont know how to describe it, I dont feel scared of being in a small place but I feel trapped in this horrible reality and like I can't get out and theres no escape or hope), I have this overwhelming sense of doom and hopelessness, it's freaking me out so much I feel like I need to kill myself right now to make it stop, like a compulsive need to kill myself as if there's no choice. I feel very agitated and I kinda feel like passing out from it and my head isn't clear or normal feeling at all :(

I've had these experiences a few times in recent months and they go away after varying amounts of time- sometimes half an hour, sometimes a few hours

EmB

Absolute Peach!
I personally believe so, but in all honestly it's irrelevant as to whether it is or not. This is your body reacting to acute stress - giving it a label doesn't do much, you are still suffering immensely.

I'd definitely recommend getting some help for it - huge love your way.

Sending hugs

Em

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don't know what qualifies as an anxiety attack, but either way probably the things you would do to calm yourself would be the same.

Maybe concentrate on your breath. Count the breaths and try to pay attention to the feel of the air entering and leaving your body.

You could also try some grounding techniques - like, naming things you can see, hear, touch, to bring you back into this reality.

*hug If it's bad enough that you are really worried you could do something to yourself, please call someone.

I personally believe so, but in all honestly it's irrelevant as to whether it is or not. This is your body reacting to acute stress - giving it a label doesn't do much, you are still suffering immensely.

I'd definitely recommend getting some help for it - huge love your way.

Sending hugs

Em
Thank you *hug

I don't know what qualifies as an anxiety attack, but either way probably the things you would do to calm yourself would be the same.

Maybe concentrate on your breath. Count the breaths and try to pay attention to the feel of the air entering and leaving your body.

You could also try some grounding techniques - like, naming things you can see, hear, touch, to bring you back into this reality.

*hug If it's bad enough that you are really worried you could do something to yourself, please call someone.
Thank you, I feel less intense for now *hug

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
I experience that..sonetimes at Work. Its all consuming.. For me it helps to be aware of whats happening. Recognise when it is and just breathe. Forgive yourself, and be patient with yourself.. Allow the feelings to happen but just accept them.. I just focus on the task at hand for a bit.. "Okay self, you're wigging out again..you feel like shit.. You're being overwhelmed right now. that's okay. " just make it to the next hour.. And then i take a xanax. *hug i dont know if that helps but I hope it does. I roll my eyes at myself internally but forgive myself. and just ignore my own thoughts for a bit...by distraction..

Last edited:

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
I view my Anxiety/depression as a stubborn child throwing a tantrum. It can be a nightmare, or something i roll my eyes at and try to stay present dealing with until it calms down.. Im tired of my own bullshit.. But i forgive it too..because mental illness isno ones fault..

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00