is this considered an eating disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, basically, whats been going on is I eat about 1/2 a meal per day. Sometimes nothing at all. And, well...is this an eating disorder. i think of myself as fat, even though I only weigh 90 lbs. I'm about 5'4 by the way. So, is it an eating disorder?

Scum

No one here can diagnose you with an eating disorder as we are not doctors (and if there is a doc here, they still wouldn't be able to because there are a lot of diagnostic criteria to diagnose an ED).

However I will say that your eating habits are not overly healthy. I think you should talk to your doctor about your habits, as you are clearly concerned about them, and he will either be able to put your mind at rest, or refer you on to the appropriate person

i don't know if that is considered an eating disorder. i've thought about it alot though, because i do that too sometimes. but yeah, i think it kinda is an eating disorder. i don't really know though.

i heard from one of my friends once, that if you think you're fat, and if you obsess over losing weight, then you are anorexic. but hey, that's what just what i've been told. so yeah

Scum

i heard from one of my friends once, that if you think you're fat, and if you obsess over losing weight, then you are anorexic. but hey, that's what just what i've been told. so yeah
This is not at all true. If it was, then half the woman out there would have anorexia nervosa.

The real diagnosis criteria are

'Diagnostic Criteria (taken from http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-et01.html)

~Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).
~Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.
~Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.
~In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea, i.e., the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles. (A woman is considered to have amenorrhea if her periods occur only following hormone, e.g., estrogen, administration.)

Specify type:

~Restricting Type: during the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has not regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behavior (i.e., self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas)
~Binge-Eating/Purging Type: during the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behavior (i.e., self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas) '

Often a person can have what is called disordered eating, which is where eating habits are not 'normal'. It might be that this is what you are experiencing. It is sensible to talk to a doctor about it.

Hopefully this post will have informed you of the facts of anorexia, as opposed to going on hearsay.

Good luck and take care

Jenny

Staff Alumni
Hi Songie,

I don't really have much to add to what Scum has written.. I completely agree. Unfortunately we can't diagnose whether you have an eating disorder.. but it does sound like your eating patterns aren't healthy. Have you considered talking to your doctor about this? He/she may be able to help or at least confirm whether this is an eating disorder.

Keep us posted.. and take care of yourself
:hug:

T

Technologic_Dreams

Sandy, if you were fat, could I fit my hands around your waist?
You're not fat. I'm fat.

I'll bet neither of you are fat.

Technologic, take your friend out clothes shopping when you can afford it. Let her try on different styles of clothes and see what suits her, and find things she really looks great in. Keep trying until she finds something she knows she looks great in, and feels good in.

If she knows and admits that she's underweight, it means she knows that she isn't fat. Perhaps she just feels she's fatter in comparison to people around her. Helping her find something she feels she looks good in might help.

T

Technologic_Dreams

I'll bet neither of you are fat.

Technologic, take your friend out clothes shopping when you can afford it. Let her try on different styles of clothes and see what suits her, and find things she really looks great in. Keep trying until she finds something she knows she looks great in, and feels good in.

If she knows and admits that she's underweight, it means she knows that she isn't fat. Perhaps she just feels she's fatter in comparison to people around her. Helping her find something she feels she looks good in might help.
Actually, I am a little on the overweight side, pudgy, not really fat.
But that does sound like a good idea, now all I need is some money.

okay thanks you guys...I cant talk to my doctor, because my guardian always goes in with me, and if she finds out, then I'm going into a mental ward...that would kinda suck...alot

T

Technologic_Dreams

Yes, yes it would Sandy-Panda.
You're one of the reasons keeping me from dropping out of school.
You and the others. I don't like your aunt, she's an ass.:mad:

I'm 14 and my Aunt carol says that if I do one more thing wrong she is sending me to a mental ward... I've already had issues with cutting, my homosexuality (though I don't consider that I bad thing), pill popping, and drinking, so she just well, said that one more bad thing and I'm gone...so, ya. I would try the drop in thing but I would have no way to get there.

Scum

first off, you are right, your sexuality is not a bad thing. Being homosexual is not anything anyone should ever be condemned for, and you should be proud of yourself for allowing yourself to be who you are.

With regards to the psych ward, it would probably not be that easy for her to get you admitted if that is what she wanted, and it is possibly a very empty threat. If she did try to admit you, the chances are that in actual fact you would end up with some sort of therapy, which could really help.

It also sounds like she does not understand mental health problems and how to support someone who is struggling, could you maybe try and educate her about them?

B

BeenThere

I agree with scum.Your aunt sending you to an asylum sounds very much like an empty threat.Be proud of who you are and your sexuality...it takes guts to open up.It is nothing to be ashamed of and do not let ANYBODY tell you otherwise.

physician

so do u have any habits of vomiting or using laxatives ?

If not, then the problem is only that u eat 1/2 times a day, if u feel disturbing about any thoughts u have, u should consult a psychologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00