Is this enough in a diet?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am trying to lose weight, I also have stomach issues and need to improve my diet. I'm thinking of living off wholemeal foods (pasta,bread,rice), small amounts of meat, eggs,beans, nuts, fruits and vegetables and maybe 1 glass of milk a day and water only for drinks otherwise. Is this healthy enough for me? Am I missing anything?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
  2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

This sounds good but the key thing is to make sure that you are eating ENOUGH of it. Restricting calories too much does more harm than good - and as discussed if you have issues with bowel disease you need to make sure you are getting enough fibre - and enough for you is more than for an average person :hug:

3. Petal

Thanks Freya. I was thinking of the fibre earlier but I could not remember the magic number you said would be average enough to eat. I've just eaten a banana and orange, milk and wholemeal bread so I'm getting a good combination :)

4. Petal

It's today I need to start,never mind new years, I would be so appreciative of the fiber amounts,I know you told me the other day but do you know which foods are the richest and how much for someone with bowel problems. Thanks so much :)

5. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

Much more hardcore than anything I am trying, but our goals are different.

I am trying to implement a new healthy lifestyle thing into my life each week... so eating salads before meals, switching type of bread, then cheese.,

Because I am such a junk food addict... I am either picking a day, or 3 meals in a week where I can do what I want food wise and enjoy the junk. Allows me to still enjoy going out and the like.

6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, Petal. Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's list of high fibre foods.

Before you delve into changing your diet on your own, has your doctor suggested seeing a dietician, who will be able to help you plan good amounts of different kinds of fibre and different sources, as well as ensure that you get the nutrients and proteins you need? He or she can also help you determine the amounts for health, weight loss, and then maintenance. I think if a person has some bowel issues, it's a good to get the professional guidance if it is available.