Is this even legal

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by moon_stone, May 5, 2011.

1. moon_stone

moon_stone Member

Is it legal for insurance companies to not have a policy for therapy? My insurance company droped mental health so I cannot go to a theapist unless I want to go more into debt then I already am. It really makes me mad, because I want to talk to someone but I don't have the money to do so. I really think that a terapist could help me. I know I could go to a regular dr. and they could prescribe me antidepressents but I don't want medication unless necesary. The last time I wan on antisepressents (for stress when I was 16) I got so depressed I started cutting and then stopped taking the meds because I read up on them and realizes the Dr. shouldn't have even given me them in the first place. Needless to say after I stopped taking them my depression got better. I was still stressed still had headaches but I was a little happier enough to not want to cut anymore.

Just is there any way around this? Is there any ways for me to see a therapist without selling an organ?

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are from but of course insurance companies don't have to cover threapy. Most you have to pay a premium for...

Try local, free services or a therapist who works on a sliding scale.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Insurance companies cover what your policy says they cover.

My insurance company doesn't cover my painkillers, for instance... I need them, they're non-abusable, they're prescribed by my doctor, but they're not covered.

It sucks sometimes but that's how it works.

Curiously, my policy DOES cover hypnotherapy. >_<

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

try a therapist with a sliding scale. there may be a waiting list but worth a shot. that's how i found my therapist. also try the psychology department at your local university. you might find a (supervised) student at a lower rate.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm working with a student right now, she's the best therapist I've had so far.

6. moon_stone

moon_stone Member

What does that mean a therapist with a sliding scale?

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

They charge different amounts based on the patient's ability to pay. So they might charge $120/hour for a well-insured, well-paid patient but only $30/hour if insurance is limited (that still sounds like a lot, but you typically go for 1 hour/week, $30/week isn't usually crippling). Some organizations will even offer it for free, but they'll probably have long wait lists.

8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

yea. i pay 30 an hour to see my therapist. she charges 150 an hour for people who have more money. most therapists have a sliding scale, you just have to ask. sometimes they can only take a few people at the lower end so you have to wait. but that's okay. sooner or later you move up on the list.

9. moon_stone

moon_stone Member

awesome thanks, i'll have to look into that.