Is this even legal

Is it legal for insurance companies to not have a policy for therapy? My insurance company droped mental health so I cannot go to a theapist unless I want to go more into debt then I already am. It really makes me mad, because I want to talk to someone but I don't have the money to do so. I really think that a terapist could help me. I know I could go to a regular dr. and they could prescribe me antidepressents but I don't want medication unless necesary. The last time I wan on antisepressents (for stress when I was 16) I got so depressed I started cutting and then stopped taking the meds because I read up on them and realizes the Dr. shouldn't have even given me them in the first place. Needless to say after I stopped taking them my depression got better. I was still stressed still had headaches but I was a little happier enough to not want to cut anymore.

Just is there any way around this? Is there any ways for me to see a therapist without selling an organ?

Domo

I don't know where you are from but of course insurance companies don't have to cover threapy. Most you have to pay a premium for...

Try local, free services or a therapist who works on a sliding scale.

aoeu

Insurance companies cover what your policy says they cover.

My insurance company doesn't cover my painkillers, for instance... I need them, they're non-abusable, they're prescribed by my doctor, but they're not covered.

It sucks sometimes but that's how it works.

Curiously, my policy DOES cover hypnotherapy. >_<

try a therapist with a sliding scale. there may be a waiting list but worth a shot. that's how i found my therapist. also try the psychology department at your local university. you might find a (supervised) student at a lower rate.

aoeu

try a therapist with a sliding scale. there may be a waiting list but worth a shot. that's how i found my therapist. also try the psychology department at your local university. you might find a (supervised) student at a lower rate.
I'm working with a student right now, she's the best therapist I've had so far.

aoeu

They charge different amounts based on the patient's ability to pay. So they might charge $120/hour for a well-insured, well-paid patient but only $30/hour if insurance is limited (that still sounds like a lot, but you typically go for 1 hour/week, $30/week isn't usually crippling). Some organizations will even offer it for free, but they'll probably have long wait lists.

yea. i pay 30 an hour to see my therapist. she charges 150 an hour for people who have more money. most therapists have a sliding scale, you just have to ask. sometimes they can only take a few people at the lower end so you have to wait. but that's okay. sooner or later you move up on the list.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00