Is this how it starts?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Briezy, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

i have never self harmed and never really understood it except for the two times in my entire mental health battle of 5 years that I felt the urge to harm. But today I was using a rubber band for math class and started to tie it so tightly around my finger that it turned purple and cold. I kept doing it because it took my mind off of the other pain I was feeling. I probably did this off and on for about four hours until I finally had to stop to drive home. Is this how self harm tendencies start? I have never felt this good while experiencing pain!

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi @Briezy It's tough but I am glad you used a rubber band, that's a lot safer than cutting or substance abuse etc.. keep using the band if it makes you feel good, you could also use ice to rub long our arms or legs or wherever you feel its best, as for is this where it starts, I am unsure but if you feel you are getting worse please consult your doctor/therapist for professional advice and help. One thing that helped me was a coping mechanism a therapist thought me, write out all your thoughts, bad ones, onto a sheet of paper then beat the sheet of paper really hard. It lets out the anger etc.. Please check back in with us and let us know how you are doing. We do care :)

Frances M likes this.
  3. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Yes, I use a rubber band too when it gets really bad. I have more scars than freckles on my arms, it's not something I'm proud of. A thin, loose elastic band works well on the wrist too. It really kind of stings yet leaves no marks and takes my mind off the cutting to the point where I stop myself because it stings a little too much. I don't remember how mine started, likely in a moment of complete despair as I tried not to make an attempt. In my opinion, any type of self harm is a way to transfer pain. When meds and therapy stop working, the emotional pain is so intense, we need to dislodge it. It's simply a band-aid for the emotional pain unfortunately and can become a bad habit that really does not good at all. I hope that you don't start. Take care @Briezy !

Petal likes this.
  4. Briezy

Briezy Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Frances M likes this.