Ideas & Opinions Is this immature/childish/strange?

BlueKoala

Hey everyone!
So, to explain, let me start off with that I’ve always loved my stuffed animals/etc. I have a huge emotional bond with each toy and plushie. However, with every year that I’ve been getting older, I’ve been embarrassed with “playing” with them (it’s not really playing, like in a 9 year old’s sense, but more like posing them, collecting them, and even sleeping with my plush toys). I’m 16 now, and I feel like if anyone finds out I still buy things like Calico Critters, people will think something is wrong with me. I’m not sure if this is normal myself, since at this age people usually even play more mature rated games, as opposed to me currently being obsessed with the Mario franchise (I also like a few select M rated games, but too much violence makes me nauseous. I also play Teen rated games too).
I’ve been feeling with a anxious feeling that I may be really not normal or that I’m really weird, or immature or childish. Is posing/sleeping with stuffed animals/etc. okay to do? What do you all think? Sorry if it’s a silly question, I’ve just been worried a lot about this lately.

BlueKoala

I think it's ok to be yourself. I don't think you have to force yourself to be something that you're not.

Other people may not approve of it, so you might want to avoid advertising it.
Thank you. I think you’re right. There are people who will think I’m weird so I probably shouldn’t tell people. The only people who know about this are my parents (who don’t see any issues with that as my hobby). Thank you for the response! :)

KindaOtiose

Don't worry about it. @may71 is right, whatever you enjoy doing is fine, as long as it isn't causing you or anyone else a problem, and this doesn't seem to be causing any problems, so I say - go for it!

However, I will say, 16 year olds can be cruel, so it might be worth being careful who you mention it to. *brohug

BlueKoala

Don't worry about it. @may71 is right, whatever you enjoy doing is fine, as long as it isn't causing you or anyone else a problem, and this doesn't seem to be causing any problems, so I say - go for it!

However, I will say, 16 year olds can be cruel, so it might be worth being careful who you mention it to. *brohug
Yeah! I feel comfortable telling my childhood friend but no one else, not even my other friends, since they have a habit to tease each other about things (not almost of the time, but it could still be a little embarrassing, nonetheless). Thank you for the advice! :)

nothing wrong with that :) whatever makes you happy! young people grow up too fast these days, it's nice to stay in touch with more innocent simple things. I'm in my late twenties and still sleep with a teddy bear!! don't worry about what other people your age are doing, there's no rules on what you should or shouldn't do by a certain age. You don't have to do everything they're doing, just be happy doing whatever you like to do even if it isn't the popular thing :)

BlueKoala

nothing wrong with that :) whatever makes you happy! young people grow up too fast these days, it's nice to stay in touch with more innocent simple things. I'm in my late twenties and still sleep with a teddy bear!! don't worry about what other people your age are doing, there's no rules on what you should or shouldn't do by a certain age. You don't have to do everything they're doing, just be happy doing whatever you like to do even if it isn't the popular thing :)
Thank you! You’re right. I was really worried it was a weird or childish thing. I feel better now. :)

Hey ,no worries. I still enjoy barbie movies, and I often buy clothes with the barbie brand on them. I don't think I will ever get enough of it, even when I'm 40 something. I usually hide the interest when I'm outside though. If I saw a person like you being comfortable buying plushies I may have the courage to wear the barbie shirt outside.
I bought myself Barbie pyjamas and I'm 28 :D

MichaelKay

"I think it's ok to be yourself" (quoting may71). < -------------------- This!

Couldn't have said it better. I'd say the only thing that would be childish is if you couldn't wonder why some thought of it as strange. I have seen grown men run around in forests painted like orcs and swing rubber swords at eachother. Believe me, if acting out fantasies are considered childish I'd bet there's a lot of people in line waiting to be accused of being childish before you. No sweat. Staying in contact with and feeding our desires is rather mature if anything.

BlueKoala

Hey ,no worries. I still enjoy barbie movies, and I often buy clothes with the barbie brand on them. I don't think I will ever get enough of it, even when I'm 40 something. I usually hide the interest when I'm outside though. If I saw a person like you being comfortable buying plushies I may have the courage to wear the barbie shirt outside.
Really? Thank you. I’m really happy that this isn’t something that’s a bad thing. I was worried that I might be really weird or strange for my interests since I like plushies, toys, etc. Thank you for your output! :)

BlueKoala

Nothing wrong with whatever makes you happy. In fact, too much pressure is put on today's youth. They are forced to grow up too fast in society now. It's too bad some of us older folks, cannot go back to our youth. I would give anything to go back to the past.
I think that teenagers and young adults are told to grow up really quickly, but when it’s too quickly, people tend to judge them harshly, too. It feels like there’s no winning when you’re a teenager, so maybe it’s for the best if I just develop as slow or fast as I naturally would develop (sorry, I’m not sure if what I’m saying makes sense or not, it could get difficult for me to explain myself sometimes). Thank you for replying to my thread! :)

BlueKoala

I don't think it's immature. I'm in my 20's and still sleep with a stuffed animal.
Before this day I assumed that no one (that wasn’t a kid) slept with stuffed animals and that I was a really weird person. I’m really happy that this isn’t the case because I was scared that this was seen as something really weird or bad. Thank you for replying to my post! :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00