Is this normal for depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Shiori~

Account Closed
Does anyone else feel more depressed at night? It might sound strange of a question but I could swear I feel worse at night then I do during the day. During the day I just feel tired and blah but at night I easily cry and horrible thoughts easily come to mind. I know its not normal for a normal person but is it common with depression?

it is , thats the same with me , maybe because i m more alone at night , easily get suicidial thought.while i was in stay in psycharistic hospital , more crisis occur at night as well.

Does anyone else feel more depressed at night? It might sound strange of a question but I could swear I feel worse at night then I do during the day. During the day I just feel tired and blah but at night I easily cry and horrible thoughts easily come to mind. I know its not normal for a normal person but is it common with depression?

same with me.

and also mid afternoon is a bad time for me

gakky1

Same here too, seems like it's that way for all us responders. Not sure why, because it's dark? Or because if we wasted another day doing nothing we feel guilty? It's even worse for me when I go/try to sleep, seems every depressing and suicidal thought that I can think of rushes into my brain and stays there.:mhmm:

~Shiori~

Account Closed
Well that does help a little, atleast I am not alone in how I feel. Now I am just unsure of how to go about helping myself with it. No matter what meds I have been on, the nighttime is always worse. So even if meds had me "leveled out" during the day, I would then be on a light depression during the night. If I am not on meds the day is bad but the night is horrible. Yet there is no way to get around the night... it is going to come if I want it to or not.

I have tried leaving the lights on, installing UV lights, adding brighter decore (those were then resold at yard sale, so not me) so I am at a loss of what to do.

Chargette

Night time is often the hardest. I've been through a lot of rough nights in my life. I have some favorite movies to put in the VCR for times like that.

Leiaha

Same here too, nighttime is the worst and gets worse as the night goes on. If I can't sleep it's terrible :hug:

Lea x x

barto

There was a poll/thread in the Midnight Owls section of SF where most of the people answered Yes, they do feel worse at night, you're not alone on this. I answered No to that poll, but lately I've been feeling positively tortured at night.

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
Yep... night is worse. That's why the doc has increased my meds during the night. Don't want any sneaky suicidal thoughts to creep in.

icequeen

yup, for the most part night is worse...whether its the blackness something seems to trigger things more at night. for me i dont think its being alone, i crave isolation which i dont get during the day and relish the time when peeps are gone, i just think nighttime brings a different feeling and maybe tiredness and bodyclock has something to do with our thought processes. i tend to overthink stuff at night...i blame the bats!

solutions

Doesn't anyone else think that's kind of strange? At least, to anyone who's studied depression?

It makes much more sense for depression to be worse in the morning. I'm familiar with this because that's more my tendency, and I know of other people who have also had rougher times in the morning. The simple reason is because it's a new day without any promise. At night, you know you can comfort yourself through sleep, and maybe wake up feeling different or renewed. In the morning, you're at the mercy of the day in front of you. Suddenly the morning's here and everything's expected of you. This overwhelms many people with depression, and is in fact the riskiest time for suicide--most suicides occur in the morning.

Statistically, or so I've heard, more people with endogenous or melancholic depression have it harder in the morning. And, conversely, those with reactive or atypical depression have it hardest at night.

So to answer the question, "Is it normal for depression"...well, it's less common among those with endogenous, extremely severe or melancholic depression--the people who would not be on this board, but rather in psychiatric hospitals, which would explain the board's overwhelming response toward nighttime. It's more common for reactive, mild to moderate, or atypical depression.

Mr Stewart

Worst times for me are 7am-2pm, provided I'm awake of course. At night the world quiets down a bit and the light is not so bright. I feel a little better then.

Should probably also mention that I have delayed sleep phase syndrome and being awake during aforementioned time period means I am likely running on less than an hour's worth of sleep. Multiply that by however many consecutive days I must wake up early for work reasons.

This happens with me. im more likely to want to hang myself in the evening.

My doc prescribed sleep meds in conjunction with anti-depression meds. I long for the night and go to bed early - when I can sleep and be unconscious - a brief respite from the remembered horrors of my husbands suicide. But I have started waking up at about 8am and taking more sleep meds to shorted my day some and give me another 4 hours of oblivion. I know it is not advisable but I cannot seem to motivate myself to do anything else.

To the person who says the sun is an anti-depressent, last I read it was supposed to help by stimulating the pineal gland in the brain. But the author of the book I am reading (which is very helpful) says that it is a popular misconception.

In case it may help others - the name of the book is "Beyond Fear..." and is written by Dorothy Rowe.

Roots

I actually find it easier to relax at night. Might be mostly due to my anxiety. I'm not more depressed at night than during the day - I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00