is this right in your opinion

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by wheresmysheep, Jun 23, 2010.

adults and parents come before children

1. yes your totally right!

0 vote(s)
  2. erm no WTF

32 vote(s)
  3. Other - please state

5 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

So my mum turned around and said this to my younger brother.. whats your opinons on it?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

'erm no wtf' got my vote... Entirely wrong IMO! That's kinda cruel :(
  3. xXxBrOKenWiNgSxXx

xXxBrOKenWiNgSxXx Well-Known Member

erm no wtf got my vote, children come first!!!
    all ways 1st and foremost
  4. ASkylitDrive

ASkylitDrive Well-Known Member

There are certain things that the adult comes first, and certain things children do.

Safety wise, children first.

Now if its a parent and child, the child ALWAYS comes first. Thats a parent's responsibility.
  5. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

children come first before parents, sorry but thats how i feel
  6. Placebo Soul

Placebo Soul Banned Member

Society is created by those with power in order to protect first those that they expect to become like and second that which they love or benefit them. Children generally only benefit from the second reason for protection. So...generally society is motivated to uphold that statement. However, from an ethical standpoint, I think that that statement is wrong.
  7. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

No offense, but sounds like my mother... a selfish one.
  8. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

sounds like she's being selfish.

My mom was always boy crazy-- but she'd never have said anything like that. Her children always came first; even though sometimes it didn't seem that way.
  9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I'm going to need more information before voting on this. It depends on the context. For example, on an airplane when those breathing things fall down, adults are supposed to take themselves as a priority and fit themselves first so that they can be able to save their children (if the adult doesn't he/she will pass out, and not only will she not survive, she won't have time to aid the child, so they both will die).

Another context is food. Adults eat and drink whatever is around first to make sure the food is safe for their children. You don't feed your child anything that you don't eat first.

It depends on context. I'm gonna need more information before I vote on this, and I HATE voting "other". :unsure:
  10. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

It depends upon the situation, but in general, that's a messed up thing to be telling a kid.
  11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

It's a 50/50 question.. Some cases the child comes first and others the adult comes first..Like abuse the child would come first..
  12. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I voted no, that statement seems totally weird to me
  13. boo

boo Well-Known Member

It depends on the situation, but generally speaking, children should always come first. Unless your brother is over 18 in which case the line could be more blurry.
  14. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I was brought up to believe that statement, so to me it's just normal that an adult would say that. Really depends on the situation in which she said it though. I'm sure if the building was on fire and it came down to who climbed out of the window to safety first, she would re-think that statement.
  15. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

The phrase doesnt really mean anything...In what? For what? etc.
    But I do think I understand where you are going with this and will try to respond correctly.
    I dont think parents/adults come before children. Neither do I think children come before parents/adults.
    I think that if we are alive, we are human and need to try as much as we can to approach one another on equal terms.
    We also need to try to understand each others position, strengths, and weaknesses and try to help one another grow where we can.
  16. someone uk

someone uk Well-Known Member

No, this reminds me why i always despised my dad when i was younger, he always made me be part of things that HE wanted to do, threw me onto walks, chose holidays that entertained HIM and left me and my brothers board and bemused wishing for the holidays to be over
    frankly if a parent isn't going to compromise with their children then i don't think they should be having children
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.