Is this Self-harm?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by DarkBeauty, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkBeauty

DarkBeauty Member

I tend to punch sement walls to feel the pain and hopefully break my hand(again) I was just wondering if that is like cutting your self/the same as self-harm.
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Self harm is when an individual causes harm or inflicts injuries to their body deliberately. Cutting is said to be one of the main forms but hitting yourself against walls does qualify as self harm. Why do you do it? Have you tried alternatives? We're here if you want to talk. :)
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Self harm is anything that causes harm to your body, ie drinking, smoking, self injury, drugs, eating disorders, etc.

Self injury is an injury that the person inflicts on themselves, such as cutting, burning, punching yourself, doing something that you know will hurt/injure you with the intent to hurt yourself (ie punching walls, etc, to hurt yourself). There are many types of self injurous behaviour and it varies greatly from individual to individual.

If you want to talk about why you do it, then we are more than happy to listen. Take care.
  4. DarkBeauty

DarkBeauty Member

Well I do it because people tend to be more worried if someone is cutting then punching walls so it doesnt seem like it's self harm because to them self harm is cutting. I have mentioned to my aunt and the nurse at school that it's hurt pretty bad but they turn there head if it would have been cut's they would have freaked. Do you kinda get what I'm saying. I know everyone's here for me I've been coming on here since it first opened.
  5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It's all about peoples perceptions, but it is by no means less important, or 'better' or 'worse' than cutting. The point is that you are harming yourself deliberately and you need some sort of professional help for that.

I do understand what you mean know.
  6. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Self-injury (SI) or Self-harm (SH) is deliberate injury inflicted by a person upon his or her own body. Some scholars use more technical definitions related to specific aspects of this behavior. These acts may be aimed at relieving otherwise unbearable emotions, sensations of unreality and numbness. Self-injury is generally considered a social taboo. It is listed in the DSM-IV-TR as a symptom of borderline personality disorder and is sometimes associated with mental illness, a history of trauma and abuse, eating disorders, or mental traits such as low self-esteem or perfectionism. There is a positive statistical correlation between self-injury and emotional

I hope it helps. :hug:
  7. I've done that before. It hurts, and, yes, it's considered SI.
  8. DarkBeauty

DarkBeauty Member

Thanks everyone. although I'm glad that the people around me don't connect the dots and realize that it's another form of cutting. I'll get sent back to Oregon and treatment for cutting but when I punch walls I just get told thats what I get. lol. It's funny how desprate I can get just to control my own pain huh?
  9. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

lol...I've definitely heard that one before. :smile:

You gotta be careful hitting walls, though. Breaking your hand leads to a nice bout of arthritis that really sucks and won't get any better w/ time. Trust me on this one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.