is this SI or OCD?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by elvinchild, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I obsessively pick and bite at my nails and cuticles. Its not the same as cutting/beating/biting where I do it consciously out of anger, overwhelm, numbness, or guilt... Its more a subconscious habit that has to do with anxiety. The more anxious I feel, the more I will pick at my fingers. If I don't, I get even more anxious.

Is it just a constant form of mild SI? or is this a type of OCD?

2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I used to do it and I'm not into SI but I am kinda OCD.

3. littlebird

littlebird Member

4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I am not sure but I do know that I have been ready a ton of medical/psych journal articles, papers and books the last week about the SI and OCD connection and am convinced that my SI sessions had a lot to do with my OCD tendencies.

I have a degree in Neurophysiology and so don't want to bore anyone by going into detail here but it is amazing for me to understand the effect of SI on the brain and now, some 15+ years later, to see that my success in stopping SI actually had a scientific basis. I inadvertently applied coping skills for OCD to my SI and well I succeeded.

I am gonna PM you elvinchild as I hate to take up your thread with my thoughts and such.

Take care and please anyone that ever want to hurt themselves feel free to IM or PM me, I stopped so can you!

Hugs B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.